Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

Larger pulleywheels.

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Larger pulleywheels.

Postby KF » Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:11 pm

Hi guys.

I am thinking about mounting a larger pulley wheel on the RD of my TT bike. Why? Mainly because I can (well maybe), and I actually think it looks kinda cool.

What will I need to change? Should I get a longer cage? - And where do I get those large pulley wheels?

I know that some cheaper Shimano groups come with large pulleywheels, but I don't want to downgrade my DA RD.

TIA.

KF
//KF

I love carbon bits, and I can not lie! You other brothers can't deny, when a bike comes in with alot of carbon bits and some cool wheels in your face, you get sprung!
KF
Cat 1

Postby kman » Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:26 am

I'm not sure where/if you can get them apart from the cheap Shimano ones. Maybe try making your own from CF, you could use the shimano ones as a guide/template and use a small sealed bearing. If you could grab a small sheet of CF (*cough*ebay) and possibly a bearing from a hobby shop you would probably pay the same or less than a bought one anyway. I know hobby shops carry heaps of small cartridge bearings for R/C cars etc.

As for the cage mods, since you already have a sheet of CF, why not just make up a new back plate and make it even more fancy? I have seen a few people make their own back plate and they have threaded straight into the carbon with success, rather than trying to mount a nut or something to screw into with the jockey wheel bolts.

Good luck, and be sure to show us whatever you end up with. :)
You can't have everything, where would you put it?
kman
Cat 5

Postby KF » Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:35 am

kman wrote:I'm not sure where/if you can get them apart from the cheap Shimano ones. Maybe try making your own from CF, you could use the shimano ones as a guide/template and use a small sealed bearing. If you could grab a small sheet of CF (*cough*ebay) and possibly a bearing from a hobby shop you would probably pay the same or less than a bought one anyway. I know hobby shops carry heaps of small cartridge bearings for R/C cars etc.

As for the cage mods, since you already have a sheet of CF, why not just make up a new back plate and make it even more fancy? I have seen a few people make their own back plate and they have threaded straight into the carbon with success, rather than trying to mount a nut or something to screw into with the jockey wheel bolts.

Good luck, and be sure to show us whatever you end up with. :)

Jeez, I didn't think I had to make it myself.... :oops:

Is there no other way?
//KF

I love carbon bits, and I can not lie! You other brothers can't deny, when a bike comes in with alot of carbon bits and some cool wheels in your face, you get sprung!
KF
Cat 1

Postby kman » Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:38 am

You may be able to get them, but I'm not sure - I've never seen any production versions other than the cheap ones. I might try and make some for my MTB (regular sized). If I get time to do it I'll post and show everyone.
You can't have everything, where would you put it?
kman
Cat 5

Postby KF » Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:42 am

kman wrote:You may be able to get them, but I'm not sure - I've never seen any production versions other than the cheap ones. I might try and make some for my MTB (regular sized). If I get time to do it I'll post and show everyone.

I'll have to search my LBS fo those wheels.

Thank you very much.
//KF

KF
Cat 1

Postby Boonen » Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:58 am

There was a Shimano Dura-Ace derailleur with the larger 15t pulley wheels some years ago. I believe the idea was that you could use a shorter cage with a bigger variety of gears (like in a triple). You should still be able to find these replacement wheels if you want to give it a try but you would need to modify the inner cage a bit as well to make enough room for the pulleywheels.

Boonen
Faster than Superman

Postby KF » Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:09 am

Boonen wrote:There was a Shimano Dura-Ace derailleur with the larger 15t pulley wheels some years ago. I believe the idea was that you could use a shorter cage with a bigger variety of gears (like in a triple). You should still be able to find these replacement wheels if you want to give it a try but you would need to modify the inner cage a bit as well to make enough room for the pulleywheels.

Thank you Boonen!

That might be the way to go, I'll try and get hold of a cage and pulleywheels from that group.
//KF

KF
Cat 1

Postby maxxevv » Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:59 am

That's a GS RD for triple chainring crankset.

One way to get around it if you don't wish to install that one is perhaps "transplant" the pulley cum mounting plates onto your current (presumably 10speed RD). I've looked at it closely, seems that they are directly transferable. But I've yet to measure them. Will need to do that to know for sure.

Worth checking out though. :wink:
maxxevv
Cat 1

Postby madcow » Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:47 pm

Fibre-lyte has some new carbon pulleys coming that they will be able to make with any number of requested teeth.
madcow
Dork Overlord

Postby KF » Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:10 pm

madcow wrote:Fibre-lyte has some new carbon pulleys coming that they will be able to make with any number of requested teeth.

Uhh, that might be the way to go then... :grin:

I was wondering.... If I get my hands on a piece of carbon plate the same thickness of the cages, and I "copy" the cages on to that. Would it work?
//KF

KF
Cat 1

larger pulley wheels

Postby carbon gimp » Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:14 am

dark albert did my duraace rear mech with larger jockey wheels he did a first class job try to pm him maybe he can help you i will post pics soon
carbon gimp
Cat 5

Re: larger pulley wheels

Postby KF » Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:35 am

carbon gimp wrote:dark albert did my duraace rear mech with larger jockey wheels he did a first class job try to pm him maybe he can help you i will post pics soon

Thanks, but I kinda want to do it myself. :)
//KF

KF
Cat 1

Postby dark_albert » Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:43 pm

hi, i made some a few weeks ago. i posted it at ww. if you cant make it, let me know. it is no problem to make them with a cnc machine.

ciao...dark_albert
Attachments
IMG_8157.jpg
dark_albert
Cat 4

Postby KF » Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:24 pm

Hi albert.

Could you PM me a price on the upgrade? I am sure I can mount it myself. Just so I have something to compare with.
//KF

KF
Cat 1

Re: Larger pulleywheels.

Postby Fukulow » Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:14 am

Hi dear,

I'm thinking to get large pulley cage for Campy 10s rear derailleur.
I've already used large pulley with Sram Red component for 2 months.
The large cage was made by carbonschmiede. http://www.carbonschmiede.de/
I'm using oval chainrings, Rotor Q-rings now, so 15T pulley is very good for my bike.
It spread the capacity of rear derailleur.

But I couldn't like Sram's shifter bracket.
I want to ruturn to Campy components.
Campy grip feeling is most sweet!

But reply is not comming from GS-Carbonparts. http://www.gs-carbonparts.com/
I send E-mail to GS when I bought Sram's derailleur cage, though I couldn't also receive reply...
Is GS-Carbonpars not continuing their job?

Or anybody knows other shops or companies which are making such a large cage for Campy 10s?
Berner is making large pulley for Campy, though it is for the new 11s derailleur, not 10s.
Fukulow
Cat 5

Next

Return to General cycling