Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

Help finding a new saddle

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Re: Help finding a new saddle

Postby dunlinii » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:31 pm

pritchet74 wrote:They just don't hold up to crashes very well.

Neither do I....
Being a Pirate should be considered a Manly job because pirates get two types of booty.
dunlinii
Cat 1

Postby dbohemian » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:21 pm

I will be offering Selle Logica saddle soon. They are a custom molded carbon saddle. You sit on a mold and that mold is used to form your seat pan. The amount of carbon is customized for the riders weight and riding.

http://www.sellelogica.com/

Might work for you.

Dave
All the best,

Dave Bohm
Bohemian bicycles
http://www.bohemianbicycles.com
dbohemian
Cat 4

Postby Cheers! » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:05 am

pritchet74 wrote:I like the idea of adding some thin padding & a cover to the Becker, but just wouldn't know how to proceed with that. I would like to try a speedneedle though.

I think I'm picking a good time to experiment though - it's gotta be better to play musical saddles in the off-season rather than during the race season.

I have only ridden the old Flite. I'm not sure what to make of the new Flite. It looks funky.

Buy a Tune SpeedNeedle
Cheers!
Cat 2

Postby pritchet74 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:18 pm

If I could find a Tune Speedneedle to test ride I'd certainly do it. I've been lucky enough to have some forum members offer to loan me some saddles to test ride. I've got a Fizik Antares & Aliante in my possession right now & a Prologo Scratch on the way to me.

If anyone has a Speedneedle they could do without for 2 weeks lemme know. :wink:
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby pritchet74 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:08 am

Tried a Fizik Antares today - it just didn't work for me. I didn't hate it the way I hated the Toupe, but there was no love. It felt wide & just . . . . . wrong somehow.
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby pritchet74 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:12 am

dbohemian wrote:I will be offering Selle Logica saddle soon. They are a custom molded carbon saddle. You sit on a mold and that mold is used to form your seat pan. The amount of carbon is customized for the riders weight and riding.

http://www.sellelogica.com/

Might work for you.

Dave

Ya, I just don't like that idea. Wouldn't that just place more pressure on the parts of your undercarriage that you don't want pressure on?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby dbohemian » Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:13 pm

pritchet74 wrote:
dbohemian wrote:Ya, I just don't like that idea. Wouldn't that just place more pressure on the parts of your undercarriage that you don't want pressure on?

Saddles are a very personal item for sure. What works for one person is a torture device for another. I think the concept of the saddle is that it places weight evenly across it's entire surface. Much like a well broken in old leather saddle (brooks etc) which many people swear by for comfort.
All the best,

Dave Bohm
Bohemian bicycles
dbohemian
Cat 4

Postby slyboots » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:34 pm

dbohemian wrote:I think the concept of the saddle is that it places weight evenly across it's entire surface

But with that shape there is exactly one spot where it does that. If you move away from that spot weight distribution will become much worse than with more traditionally shaped saddles. Anyway, if they do work for someone - great.
member of the World Conspiracy against Paranoia
slyboots
Cat 5

Postby dbohemian » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:52 pm

slyboots wrote:
dbohemian wrote:, if they do work for someone - great.

As I said, a saddle is entirely a personal choice. What works for one may not work for another....But......

Since this is the only saddle that has ever, in history been formed of carbon to a particular rider. To assume it won't work when nobody here has had any experience with anything like it is presumptuous. Feedback so far has been very good.

I would also add that normally a rider moves forward on the saddle during sprints or other high effort times and the front of the saddle is shaped much like any other saddle.

It is just another potential option.
All the best,

Dave Bohm
Bohemian bicycles
dbohemian
Cat 4

Postby Fibre-Lyte » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:50 am

I like the idea, but I have reservations similar to pritchet. If it was possible, what would be great is a custom mould with full adjustment that could be fitted to a bike. The customer adjusts the saddle to it's most comfy setup for them then a carbon saddle is made from that mould.
Fibre-Lyte
Manufacturer

Postby dalai » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:04 am

I know it is extremely subjective - but what are people thoughts on carbon saddles for racing?

A while back I bought a used Becker saddle cheaply and was saving it for the day I finally start building a lighter bike. Now I have just bought the AR1 - not a particularly light frame but reality the only road bike upgrade I'll do for a while.

So question is should I use the Becker saddle on what will be my A game race bike or better to continue with the much heavier San Marco Aspide saddles I currently use for racing and keep the Becker for a potential future bike?

dalai
Cat 1

Postby Fuchs » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:07 am

I loved the Becker I had. Mine had exactly the same weight as i bought the MTB version course of my higher bodyweight with around 90kg.
The main reason that i bought mine was for the weight of course. But i actually even loved the comfort of this saddle.
It rides really nice and i never had any issues after sitting on it for hour after hour!
I didn´t test all the light saddles out there but i would say the Becker is one of the most comfy light-saddles out there.
I only sold mine because i got my NLB Seatpost-Saddle-kombination which just weighs 106g...

So i´d say "Go for it" :)
Last edited by Fuchs on Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fuchs
Cat 2

Postby Ypsylon » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:56 am

A couple years back I tried to calculate how much energy a heavier saddle ate up during an out of the saddle effort where it swings left to right. The numbers were low, but not ridiculusly low. I think I wasn't too happy with my model of where that energy would have to come from, though. Maybe I should try that again.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Postby pritchet74 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:08 pm

Geez, I had forgotten that this thread had even existed!

I have been riding a Tune KomVor saddle for about 2 years now and I love it. It's been raced numerous times. Love it. No desire to go back to a regular heavy padded saddle. Life is too short to not ride what you want to ride.
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby j0m » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:47 pm

What would be the arguments against the Becker?
j0m
The Big Brain

PreviousNext

Return to General cycling