Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

Changing from 10 to 11 speed Campag components

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Changing from 10 to 11 speed Campag components

Postby Waitless » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:59 am

I currently run a 10 speed set up with Campag Record 10 levers/shifters, Campag Record 10 rear and front derailleurs, Campag Record 10 12-25 cassette, KCNC 10 speed chain, AX Orion Brakes, THM Clavicula cranks and TA 36-50 compact chainrings. The set up works perfectly, but having recently broken the Record 10 front derailleur and had great difficulty in finding a replacement, I realise that before long I am going to have to move to Campag Record 11 components. My question is whether I will still be able to use (with the same great results) the Clavicula cranks and TA rings with the 11 speed components? Also I wonder whethr it is worth using Super Record over the normal Record 11 components and if so, all or which ones?
Waitless
Cat 4

Re: Changing from 10 to 11 speed Campag components

Postby Boonen » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:09 pm

Won't the 11s fd work just fine in a 10s setup? I haven't tried but ever since 8s the fd's have been fine with whatever levers you used ...

They're a bit more expensive but the levers and rear derailleur of the Super Record have more carbon in them so I'd get those above the normal Record purely because they look a bit better. On the front derailleur as far as I could see the only difference besides the decals is the titanium fasteners, you could easily replace those yourself with aluminium or the Ti bolts from your current record fd if you'd want to save a few grams. Last thing you'd need to upgrade would be the cassette, the Super record cassette has a few more titanium sprockets over the regular Record and is therefore a bit lighter. I'd get the all steel Chorus cassette instead if it were me, it's heavier but quite a bit cheaper. Guess it depends on your budget and how much a bit of extra weight would bother you.

You can get TA 11s chainrings to accommodate the slightly narrower 11s chain for your clavicula cranks.
Boonen
Faster than Superman

Return to General cycling