Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

Ultralite Sports pedals

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Ultralite Sports pedals

Postby djconnel » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:11 am

I see Jason is selling Ultralite Sports pedals. I am intrigued by these, since I just got some 3-hole shoes, having been advised to try Shimano instead of Speedplay by 3D Bike Fit (aside: I see Steve Hogg, who's done a few fits over the years, thinks Speedplays are his top choice, so I guess opinions vary).

Anyway, I need to get my feet narrow. The Speedplay Ti spindles work for me. I understand the Ultralites use the same spindles. Also clipping in reliably is important to me (the Ultralites are said to require a bit of practice, but that's okay). Also, some walking is unavoidable since I take my bike on the train and the platform requires walking, so the cleats can't disintegrate on me (I used covers for Speedplays).

Any experience out there?
djconnel
Cat 3

Re: Ultralite Sports pedals

Postby Fuchs » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:48 am

I like the idea of these pedals. As light as the Aerolite but seem to work better without flipping out of them.
I ordered a pair of the ti 5degree version just yesterday. Even took the springs for the heavier riders as extra and too be sure some extra cleats.
I think i´ll get them in 1-2weeks and and will come with a ride-report.

As you say you use the covers on the Speedplay cleats - in the beginning i bought them as well but i actually never used them. Just forgot them to take with me on the rides and after some time of going without i realized that the wear of the cleats isn´t that bad att all. I walked many km on them and they are still working nicely. The only way i would use the covers for is to save the floor if you do some indoor training at home or in the velodrom.
Fuchs
Cat 2

Return to General cycling