Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

Green and Purple Women's Build (in progress)

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Green and Purple Women's Build (in progress)

Postby Macrophage » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:25 am

It has been a long time since I last posted. I thought I would reintroduce myself by presenting a few parts that my wife and I are organizing for her new bike. Most of the components have been modified with "purple-haze" titanium bolts. We are awaiting a few purple components from Chris King. Will post images once we receive them. Thanks for your thoughts!

Tune Smart Foot Crankset with KCNC Cobweb Chainrings

Tune Seatpost Collar

Tune Seatpost and Fizik Donna 00 Saddle

Tune Stem

Ciamillo Zero Gravity GSL Brakes

Salsa Titanium Skewers

Last edited by Macrophage on Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
Macrophage
Cat 4

Re: Green and Purple Build

Postby pritchet74 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:59 am

Damn. Nice set of parts!
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Re: Green and Purple Women's Build (in progress)

Postby Boonen » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:54 am

Looks like a great start! What frame will these go on to?

It's pretty easy to take apart the 0G brakes so you can anodize the rest of the bolts to match the purple theme. I did it on mine, think it would look even better on those with the green and purple! :D
Boonen
Faster than Superman

Postby Macrophage » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:55 pm

A few Small Parts:

Veloflyte handlebar plugs

Stem-top caps: Debating Tune carbon and/or Extralite -

Derrailleur pulleys: KCNC ceramic

Random Ti Bolts...

pritchet74 wrote:Damn. Nice set of parts!

Thank you - It has been fun organizing the various things!

Boonen wrote:Looks like a great start! What frame will these go on to?

It's pretty easy to take apart the 0G brakes so you can anodize the rest of the bolts to match the purple theme. I did it on mine, think it would look even better on those with the green and purple! :D

Yeah, the frame is still somewhat unknown (maybe we are doing this backwards? :) ) -- At this time we are considering either Ti or carbon frames -- Possibly Lynskey or Parlee: It would be great to hear other ideas..

Great idea regarding the bolts! -- Did you send them to someone for this?
Macrophage
Cat 4

Postby Fuchs » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:26 am

Wow thats a nice partlist! I love the green Tune color. I hope you choose an Ti frame as it would look awesome with Ti and the green/purple i guess
Fuchs
Cat 2

Postby Stolichnaya » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:36 pm

Have you considered a Firefly frame? They can probably get the anodized branding to match that purple haze theme. That would look stellar.
Stolichnaya
Cyclotourist

Postby Boonen » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:46 pm

Macrophage wrote:Great idea regarding the bolts! -- Did you send them to someone for this?

A friend took them to an anodizer (not sure what they're called?) and they were done with other bike parts he was having done. It turned out great and taking the brakes apart was very easy.

Looking forward to see where this will go! :D
Boonen
Faster than Superman

Postby j0m » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:53 pm

Looking good. Keep us posted. Did you pick the Salsa skewers for the color or are they know for other qualities (I'm not that impressed with the Salsa frame I have on my winter bike)?
j0m
The Big Brain

Postby Macrophage » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:59 am

Fuchs wrote:Wow thats a nice partlist! I love the green Tune color. I hope you choose an Ti frame as it would look awesome with Ti and the green/purple i guess

Thank you! Yes, I think a Ti frame would be very appropriate. I definitely agree with you regarding the Tune "green" -- a very elegant hue.

j0m wrote:Looking good. Keep us posted. Did you pick the Salsa skewers for the color or are they know for other qualities (I'm not that impressed with the Salsa frame I have on my winter bike)?

Thank you! I have been using Salsa Ti Skewers for a long time without any complaints -- Used to have them on all of my MTB bikes and they seem invincible and the color is a bonus. -- The Tune skewers certainly have the boutique look and are lighter, however, I am not sure about their performance/reliability (e.g., carbon bonded to metal?) -- 50 or so gram difference but skewers are a potential achilles heal for safe riding. Would be interested in hearing your thoughts.

Stolichnaya wrote:Have you considered a Firefly frame? They can probably get the anodized branding to match that purple haze theme. That would look stellar.

Yes, very interesting bikes! It is really cool to see anodized Ti frames. Have to love custom frame builders and their attention to detail!
Macrophage
Cat 4

Postby Macrophage » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:23 pm

I am wondering if anyone has a suggestion for a handlebar (40 cm or less for width)? It has been somewhat difficult to find a nice handlebar without glaring decals... Trying to keep the look relatively clean. Thanks
Macrophage
Cat 4

Postby Fuchs » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:25 am

Schmolke would be my choice :)
Looks nice and clean,you can take the decals off and choose between different styles and sizes.
Last edited by Fuchs on Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fuchs
Cat 2

Postby Boonen » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:14 pm

I was thinking the same, looking at the other parts as well think it would fit in great. Bars are personal though, she has to like the shape of them as well.

Any more idea's about the frame already? :D
Boonen
Faster than Superman

Postby Macrophage » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:59 am

Fuchs wrote:Schmolke would be my choice :)
Looks nice and clean,you can take the decals off and choose between different styles and sizes.

Great choice! I had been looking at the variation of the Schmolke bars -- Are the Tune bars made by Schmolke as they seem similar?

Boonen wrote:I was thinking the same, looking at the other parts as well think it would fit in great. Bars are personal though, she has to like the shape of them as well.

Thank you! Yes, point taken on the importance of comfort, ergonomics. :D
Macrophage
Cat 4

Postby Fuchs » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:31 pm

yes they are made by schmolke and the same
Fuchs
Cat 2

Postby Macrophage » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:52 pm

Purple Chris King components coming in... Inset 7

Love the color --- pretty close match!

Macrophage
Cat 4

Next

Return to General cycling