Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

Mavic wheel repair

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Mavic wheel repair

Postby spookyload » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:29 pm

Headed to Tucson in January from Germany. I took a pretty heavy spill the day after thanksgiving on my Rocky Mountain, and as I was taking it apart tonight to ship, I noticed the front wheel was slightly out of true. Not bad, but considering I washed the frontwheel completely out, went over the bars and the bike fell down the mountain side for 50 feet...it is remarkably in good condition. I didn't fair so well as I will be showing up to town with the cast still on my arm from breaking the radius and ulna, as well as breaking my jaw in two places and dislocating it so it is still wired shut.

Now to my wheel question. I didn't bother getting the wheel trued here because I just noticed it today and it ships tomorrow. I have a great truing stand and can do wheels myself, but I don't like messing with Mavic wheels, and this is a 2012 Crossmax ST. I noticed the spoke is slightly bent about two inches from the nipple. Don't know how the wheel is still so true with the bend in the spoke. It isn't a huge bend, but you can definately see it when you look at it. Having shopped at Fairwheel online for about the last seven years, I am hoping it can become my LBS when I arrive. Do they do much Mavic stuff as far as repairs? It didnt show up on the Mavic dealer website as a dealer. I am not in a huge hurry to get the repair as I won't be able to ride till at least February. I have a spare front wheel, so I will still be riding anyways, but I want it fixed right because they are so damned reliable.
spookyload
Cat 5

Re: Mavic wheel repair

Postby pritchet74 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:17 pm

They can do any wheel I would imagine. Troy is an amazing wheelbuilder.
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby Ypsylon » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:32 am

spookyload wrote:Headed to Tucson in January from Germany.

I have to admit I'm pretty jealous. I got to spend 4 weeks in Tucson last Feb/March and the weather was just so much nicer for riding your bike than here in Germany.

I really hope you heal up well and get to enjoy the weather. Are you going over to stay or for a limited amount of time?

I'm not positive Troy is still with Fairwheel, but I'd be extremely surprised if they couldn't help you out anyways. The biggest thing with Mavic is getting a hold of the right spoke, but fairwheel is one of your better chances to actually have on in stock or if you just e-mail them now they should be able to get one soon enough.

Just make sure to visit both the shop and the warehouse at least once.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Postby dalai » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:15 am

Ypsylon wrote:Just make sure to visit both the shop and the warehouse at least once.

I'll only be in Tuscon a couple of days next September, but will definitely drop in to FWB. :D
dalai
Cat 1

Postby spookyload » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:54 am

I will be here till I retire from the Air Force, so from one to three years.
spookyload
Cat 5

Return to General cycling