Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

magura MT-8 brake squeal

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

magura MT-8 brake squeal

Postby spookyload » Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:31 am

I have been running a set for three months now and it just won't go away. Anyone else having issues with the MT-8s? I have tried cleaning everything, retensioned the rotor bolts, and tried bedding them in as much as possible. Still a squeal with more than 50% lever pull.
spookyload
Cat 5

Re: magura MT-8 brake squeal

Postby Ypsylon » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:00 am

Both front and rear? Did those come with the bike or did you ever use other brakes on the bike?
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Postby Juanmoretime » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:24 am

Are they 160mm. My friend has them in 160 and they are completely silent. Could you have some contamination on the rotor or maybe some air in the line requiring a bleed? Have you tried to either sand the pads or use different ones? Could not be any of those but they are things to check.
For my next trick I will set myself on fire!
Juanmoretime
Cat 1

Postby Fibre-Lyte » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:31 pm

Swap the pads for a different/better brand. I've known a few people have squealing brakes and a simple pad swap rectified the problem. Other than that, if the rotors are getting very hot you might have the same problem.
Fibre-Lyte
Manufacturer

Postby spookyload » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:21 pm

Thanks for the tips. I will likely swap the pads out when I get to Tucson next month and my bikes arrive from Germany.
spookyload
Cat 5

Return to General cycling