Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

Hello from Australia

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Hello from Australia

Postby aliasforme » Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:23 am

Hey guys, I'm a 15 y.o fitness rider who enjoys riding up grades. I plan to start racing when I'm a bit older/more experienced/stronger but right now I'm just enjoying the bike :grin:. I do a bit of group riding on the weekend (around 100km @ 30kmph) and I spend my spare time after school training. I originally purchased a defy alliance, but sadly that developed a crack :cry: . Giant replaced my frame with a defy advanced because they couldn't obtain a defy alliance :applause: . Here are some pics of my bike, it may not have as much bling on it as some of the parlee's on this forum but it rides like a dream and I love it.

aliasforme
Cat 4

Re: Hello from Australia

Postby Boonen » Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:43 pm

hey, welcome to the forum, sure is a nice looking bike :D
Enjoy!
Boonen
Faster than Superman

Postby Fibre-Lyte » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:37 pm

Nice bike! Wish I had one that good when I was 15!! :D
Fibre-Lyte
Manufacturer

Postby stumpytrunks » Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:52 am

Ditto! Where in Aus are you mate?
Pain hurts
stumpytrunks
The Tassie Devil

Postby aliasforme » Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:46 am

I'm in South Australia
aliasforme
Cat 4

Postby aliasforme » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:12 am

Finally got a new groupset. I was tossing up between SRAM rival or waiting for a 2nd hand SRAM force group, but then out of the blue I got this:

I had my heart set on sram and was just deciding if I should wait for 2nd hand force when a friend offered to let me try his Campag stuff. I loved the ergonomics of the lever and when I found a Athena groupset going cheap I couldn't resist :mrgreen:. The cranks are a little long for me so the ultegra cranks are staying... for the time being. Here's an updated pic:

I've never had any experience with the campy style cable routing. How does it look?
aliasforme
Cat 4

Postby Mike K. » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:17 pm

It looks like you did a fine job routing the cables! I see you have the front brake on the right. If I remember correctly Cadel Evans does the same. Is this an Australian thing?
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Mike K.
Cat 1

Postby aliasforme » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:22 am

I have my front brake on the right because I am right handed. The front brake is the dangerous one IME so I want to use my proficient hand in controlling it. I also do the majority of my braking on my front brake so it makes sense to me to have it on the dominant hand.
aliasforme
Cat 4

Postby dalai » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:03 am

Mike K. wrote:I see you have the front brake on the right. Is this an Australian thing?

Possibly... All my bikes are set up this way.
dalai
Cat 1

Postby Ypsylon » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:38 am

If you were into racing it'd make sense to have your front brake on the left because that'd allow you to brake hard and shift to the gear you'll need after that next corner. Of course that's old school and as soon as the machines take over you'll be able to confiure the shift buttons to your liking.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Postby aliasforme » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:47 am

I've never heard that one before, makes sense although I've never had any issues shifting while braking. I quite liked the Shimano design where you could shift down and brake in the same action with ease.
aliasforme
Cat 4

Postby j0m » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:43 pm

My wife has the front brake on the right. Probably because I was drunk when I routed the cables. :xBanana2: And since she didn't know where it was supposed to be it wasn't a problem.

BTW, welcome to the board, and I hope that you'll continue to enjoy riding bikes.
j0m
The Big Brain

Postby pritchet74 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:40 am

That Athena 11 group is the best bargain group out there. Nice choice!!!
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby aliasforme » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:43 am

thankyou, I also quite like the ultra-shift internals. When I was first riding it, I would always shift down too many gears on the RD, but now I'm getting used to it and its not too much of an issue. I love how the FD works like those down-tube shifters, best of both worlds IMO. I especially like the ergonomics of this leaver, suits my hands very nicely... well nicer than Shimano anyway.
aliasforme
Cat 4

Postby Mike K. » Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:15 pm

j0m wrote:My wife has the front brake on the right. Probably because I was drunk when I routed the cables.

Hilarious! :lol:
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Mike K.
Cat 1

Next

Return to General cycling