Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

Tune Speedneedle Marathon

Tune Speedneedle Marathon

Postby $mokeyJoe » Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:44 pm

The Tune Speedneedle(SN) Marathon is a full carbon saddle with reinforced Kevlar rails,covered with leather.Beneath it there's also a small amount of foam,really thin(4mm).The SN marathon is claimed at 109g.This one weighs 108.7g.Measures are 256mm long and 135mm at its widest.The shell is made of 1mm plain weaved carbon.Rails are glued and rivetted to the shell and are reinforced with some Kevlar fibers.Rails are 9,65mm thick! and you have approx. 65mm of adjustment.There's also a normal SN,and it's at it's widest 120mm and has a claimed weight of 87g/97g depending on cover(alcantara/leather)But that is another review.

The saddle feels very light.When it arrived,i didn't thought that it could be that light(This was my first lightweight saddle).The cover flexes when you push on it,so i imagined that it would be comfortable.That's also the reason why i've bought the Marathon(for those long rides,>5h).Installing was no problem as i've used it in combination with a Tune Starckes Stuck.I needed some time to get the proper inclination/horizontal adjustment.So taking a tool for the first rides is recommended.I've been tuning quite a lot between rides:up/down/forward/backward.Once found the perfect adjustment i was ready for the long rides.First impression was quite negative.My butt had to get used on this saddle.After more than 2h riding my butt felt like i was sitting on a wall.Every bump hurted quite a lot,even if the shell flexes a bit.I wasn't ready for this kind of saddles.I've still been riding on this saddle,even on rollers and i got used a bit.But after rides longer than 3h my butt won't get used to it.I've been riding one year with this saddle until i've changed it for a Concorde.(see other review)So this saddle is ok for short rides,but not the longer ones for me.As the tip of the saddle is quite 'pointed',your clothes could be sticked at the tip,but i haven't had this problem.

The saddle has been cracked once.I was riding aggresively over bumps,while hit the saddle and cracked,in the back part.As it still was in warranty,it has been replaced by Tune without any problems.So service is ok.After one year riding the wear is noticable on the thin leather.This is probably due to mud rubbing between my pants and the saddle.It's just a slightly wear.The corners around the cover also have some wear,but this happens if you put the wall against a wall.The Kevlar reinforcement has also some wear due to the clamp mechanism of the Starckes Stuck,which clamps are not round edged,like an AX-Lightness for example.With rounded edges it wouldn't have any wear on it.So the SN isn't a perfect marathon saddle for me,but it's more comfortable than a regular one,which feels harder than the marathon.I still keep it as a spare saddle.

Conclusion:
Pro:
Lightweight
Special look
Price(150€ for 109g)
Service

Cons:
Pretty hard
Thick rails that can give problems with some seatposts
Need some time for proper adjustment
Attachments
pbpic350271.jpg
Crack
Speedneedle 001.jpg
Upper part
Speedneedle 002.jpg
Inside
Speedneedle 003.jpg
Wear after 1 year intensive biking
Speedneedle 004.jpg
Wear after 1 year intensive biking
Speedneedle 005.jpg
Weight
pbpic887503.jpg
Mounted(with Ax-Lightness seatpost)
*Light is beautifull*
$mokeyJoe
Cat 3

Re: Tune Speedneedle Marathon

Postby vernaleblanc » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:59 am

Is that carbon fiber?

Last edited by vernaleblanc on Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vernaleblanc
Cyclotourist

Re: Tune Speedneedle Marathon

Postby pritchet74 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:02 am

yes
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Return to Reviews