Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

New and ready to ride...

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Re: New and ready to ride...

Postby Fibre-Lyte » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:07 am

I wonder how many stateside Boardmans there are? I remember when the range first came out and were sold by Bikehut/Halfords, literally a local motor store. Seems that times have changed!
Fibre-Lyte
Manufacturer

Postby rj1031 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:38 pm

Fibre-Lyte wrote:I wonder how many stateside Boardmans there are? I remember when the range first came out and were sold by Bikehut/Halfords, literally a local motor store. Seems that times have changed!

I also wonder how many Boardmans here in the States...

The owner of my local bike shop (Sprocket Cycles in Redondo Beach, CA) was in surprise when I took mine in for a complete tune-up. He was more than excited to see it and was amazed how nice the bike looked. He told me he was jealous (because of its raw nature).
rj1031
Cat 5

Postby garyniem » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:29 pm

Well, you can add one more to the stateside total. This one arrived from England two weeks ago and was assembled by a local bike shop (needless to say, it was the first one they'd seen). The mechanic was impressed at how well-prepped the bike was by the Boardman folks: very little adjustment was needed along the drivetrain (although the hubs were deemed "slightly overtight" and loosened a bit). The bike rides like a little black stallion. I will raise the bars a little with either a stem extender or adjustable stem. The seat is a racy, taut design that is excellent ergonomically but provides precious little padding. The Boardman was clearly conceived as a 'go-fast' bike... It really does take the hybrid genre into new territory. The SRAM Double-Taps are a delight once you get used to them. Shifts are super-fast and assured (as you'd expect from the Rival derailleur). The carbon forks, beautifully eccentric seatstays and carbon seatpost all work together with the bike's frame geometry to provide a comfortable, supple, yet thrilling ride. It's not jarring in the slightest. The Vittoria tires are confidence-inspiring. The flared chainstays come so close to the back of the pedals that my heels often brush slightly against them, but not enough to be a big deal. After a couple of rides, I'm thrilled, and look forward to (hopefully) a long fall season here in Grand Forks, North Dakota.
Attachments
Stateside-small.jpg
After a mere two rides, the Boardman begs for more action.
garyniem
Cyclotourist

Postby rj1031 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:41 pm

garyniem wrote:Well, you can add one more to the stateside total. This one arrived from England two weeks ago and was assembled by a local bike shop (needless to say, it was the first one they'd seen). The mechanic was impressed at how well-prepped the bike was by the Boardman folks: very little adjustment was needed along the drivetrain (although the hubs were deemed "slightly overtight" and loosened a bit). The bike rides like a little black stallion. I will raise the bars a little with either a stem extender or adjustable stem. The seat is a racy, taut design that is excellent ergonomically but provides precious little padding. The Boardman was clearly conceived as a 'go-fast' bike... It really does take the hybrid genre into new territory. The SRAM Double-Taps are a delight once you get used to them. Shifts are super-fast and assured (as you'd expect from the Rival derailleur). The carbon forks, beautifully eccentric seatstays and carbon seatpost all work together with the bike's frame geometry to provide a comfortable, supple, yet thrilling ride. It's not jarring in the slightest. The Vittoria tires are confidence-inspiring. The flared chainstays come so close to the back of the pedals that my heels often brush slightly against them, but not enough to be a big deal. After a couple of rides, I'm thrilled, and look forward to (hopefully) a long fall season here in Grand Forks, North Dakota.

Congrats! I am glad you got yours right away!

Have fun and be safe :)
rj1031
Cat 5

Previous

Return to General cycling