Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

Help: Tune Fastfoot crankarm removal

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Help: Tune Fastfoot crankarm removal

Postby jvanhoen » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:05 am

What a pain. I received a new Wilier Le Roi team display bike as payment for work, it had a fastfoot and sixpack installed. Need to get these compact canks off without damaging frame in any way since since frame is sold and buyer needs 175s in standard. Cranks had no crankbolts installed but arms have been seated. After reading a bit about cranks on net I purchased some new OE Tune itemes that an authorized Tune component site,in Europe, stated were needed. So, I just took delivery on some new Ti bolts and a Sixpack BB removal tool.
PROBLEM: No idea how to remove arms, so I checked on Tune's site and the instructions were foggy at best. Says to srew in the 8mm bolt clock-wise untill snug. Well thats all well & nice but how does that help me get arms off (they are firmly attached).
At this point I'm not too worried about keeping cranks in their new condition, BUT I need to keep frame in perfect shape. I'm never worked with/on such a crankset like this Tune Fastfoot. and quite frankly I'm at my wits end with it!
Can anyone let me know what I'm missing? I'm growing super desperate (I needed to ship frame yesterday) and I suspect that these were installed w/no worry of ever removing)?
NOTE: I can send detail pics or even an AVI vid to depict whats going on with this Tune Crank/BB combo.

Thanks to all for your input
jvanhoen
Cat 5

Re: Help: Tune Fastfoot crankarm removal

Postby Boonen » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:00 am

What parts did you buy to remove the cranks? You'll need a crank puller, have a look here: http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-hel ... indle-type
Boonen
Faster than Superman

Postby jvanhoen » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:31 pm

Thank you for the response but...
Well, what appears to be the issue is that since the 6 sided axel (Sixpack BB) cranks require some sort of proprietary self-extracting crank bolt.
The Ti bolt I bought is not the self extracting style, and I don't believe that the arm removal can be done with a typical crank-puller/hollow axel plug that I'd use when say removing another 'hollow BB" style crank (e.x. Sram/Race Face/E13 etc)
Other ideas as to which brand self-removing crank bolt (Tune site all in German) may work or a way to use a crank extractor to remove this FastFoot?
Looks like FW no longer has such a Tune bolt and no shops near me have the ability to safely remove crank (one place offered to Dremmel/cut arms off!! :shock: ) man, I can cut the arms off if I want to ruin them but I hope it doesn't come to this :cry:
Still looking for some advice from someone familiar with this Tune set-up
Regards

Boonen wrote:What parts did you buy to remove the cranks? You'll need a crank puller, have a look here: http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-hel ... indle-type
jvanhoen
Cat 5

Postby l33boy » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:51 pm

Hey buddy
Screw in the crank bolt until seated then screw in the self extraction cap over that.
Then just unscrew the bolt. They did send you an extraction cap?
Bike
9.2Kgs ----------------------------I 6.5Kgs :)
Me:
92Kgs ------------------------I----- 84Kgs :(
l33boy
Cat 5

Postby jvanhoen » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:20 pm

l33boy wrote:Hey buddy
Screw in the crank bolt until seated then screw in the self extraction cap over that.
Then just unscrew the bolt. They did send you an extraction cap?

NO!! :cry:
That is the real issue, I don't have the extraction cap and I can't seem to be able to buy one anywhere!
WHat can I do, I need to remove this crank ASAP, is there another brand of extraction cap which will work since all the caps I own are WAY to large)?
At this point I'm ready to pay REAL $ just to get my hands on these self-extract caps/bolt
I swear I'm losing it over here I'm on the east coast now (former Tucson resident) and no higher end shops in my local
Thanks so much for your reply.
jvanhoen
Cat 5

Postby jvanhoen » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:55 pm

Hello l33boy and others who have been helping to talk me down form the ledge
I just sent a request for that self extracting cap to the folks at FWB
I would truly appreciate it if everybody were keep their fingers crossed for me :angel:
jvanhoen
Cat 5

Postby l33boy » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:47 pm

OK lets not panic yet :D
can you measure the diameter of the threaded centre on the crank as shown in the attached photo?
all we need to figure out is the thread size of the extraction cap.
untitled.JPG
untitled.JPG (4.85 KiB) Viewed 1291 times

EDIT
looking at the six pack data, there is 2 degrees of taper on the axle so it should come loose with gentle tapping if the bolts are removed.
Double EDIT:
That really does look like a standard extraction tool thread size.... have you tried a square taper crank puller in there?
Bike
9.2Kgs ----------------------------I 6.5Kgs :)
Me:
92Kgs ------------------------I----- 84Kgs :(
l33boy
Cat 5

Postby jvanhoen » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:17 am

I truly apologize for not posting for some time but life, as it seems to do, got in the way. Anyway...cranks are off :D , but I would like to offer thanks to l33boy & others who sent PMs w/suggestions. After some serious time on the phone/& tech help from Jeremy @ Alchemy (great guy w/amazing products) I was able to get arms off and then I actually took the frameset to a shop in NYC to check for any damage and to complete the BB removal (even though I had the tool). There was nothing wrong with the BB, but whoever installed the cranks damaged the aluminum bolts and so the cranks were just stuck on the sixpack BB axel. Threading the Ti bolts into the arm backwards, a long hex drive and then some light inspiration on arm was necessary for removal. Whole process took over 30min to do but no crank or BB damage sustained from removal.
jvanhoen
Cat 5

Return to General cycling