Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

JMT Memorial International Beer Tour (part deux)

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Re: JMT Memorial International Beer Tour (part deux)

Postby alienator » Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:54 am

Juanmoretime wrote:Build progress report. IPA will be inserted into glass structures that sole purpose is to contain and start the carbonation process. Two weeks to first test ride and 4 weeks to completing the build.

I hope it's not a light weight build.
alienator
Resident Trouble-Maker

Postby Juanmoretime » Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:28 am

alienator wrote:
Juanmoretime wrote:Build progress report. IPA will be inserted into glass structures that sole purpose is to contain and start the carbonation process. Two weeks to first test ride and 4 weeks to completing the build.

I hope it's not a light weight build.

No

http://angrybear.blogspot.com/cat.jpg

beers with limes here!
For my next trick I will set myself on fire!
Juanmoretime
Cat 1

Postby Juanmoretime » Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:27 am

Well last night a friend came over to a pre sampling of my first IPA. It's only been in the bottle two weeks and most claim IPA's need 4 weeks in the bottle before it is has reached its peak. Very subtle hoppiness that will develop well over the coming weeks. A great diversion from my wheat ale. This will be another to add to the summer brewing/consumption list. :headbang:

While I know some of you may not believe it so I may provide samples in the future although the first batch may go quickly before I am able to share with those outside Central Illinois.
Juanmoretime
Cat 1

Postby alienator » Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:23 pm

Juanmoretime wrote:No

http://angrybear.blogspot.com/cat.jpg

beers with limes here!

I don't know how I missed this post, Guano. Beer with lime: lame, bland, bland, lame. I would almost rather have 3.2% beer.
Last edited by alienator on Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alienator
Resident Trouble-Maker

Postby alienator » Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:25 pm

Juanmoretime wrote:Well last night a friend came over to a pre sampling of my first IPA. It's only been in the bottle two weeks and most claim IPA's need 4 weeks in the bottle before it is has reached its peak. Very subtle hoppiness that will develop well over the coming weeks. A great diversion from my wheat ale. This will be another to add to the summer brewing/consumption list. :headbang:

While I know some of you may not believe it so I may provide samples in the future although the first batch may go quickly before I am able to share with those outside Central Illinois.

In case you're unsure Juan, my beer receptacle is always open. You need a label.....something that's the polar opposite of Old Frothingslosh's label........
alienator
Resident Trouble-Maker

Re: JMT Memorial Beer Tour Goes to Thailand

Postby slisk » Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:59 pm

JMT International Beer Tour Goes to Thailand

Finally OOK (out of kingdom), which is what every company employee here wants to be. Ten days in Bangkok/Koh Samui will give me ample time to see what the local brewers have in store.

Five samples to report on today, here's the grand tour initial report.

Entry #1 Singha Lager – Bangkok

I have to say that this is the first beer that I have sampled since starting this thread that I won’t drink again. We spent the better part of the day on a private tour with the kids and when I saw a drink vendor with beer, I thought this was going to be a great start to the afternoon. What can I say about this…think of a Budweiser but only more bitter and not in a good way. The palette also detected a hint of muddy water. Refermented camp near beer is better. Save your Thai baht on this one. The wife also concurred.

Entry #2 – Not sure what the hell it was but it was hard to swallow.

At the end of the temple tour, the guide pulled into a jewelry workshop and retail center that was very posh (a directive from her boss she said). I should have known I was in trouble. They take you to see the goldsmiths at work, let the kids view the very nice salt aquariums, and lead the husbands into the free drinks area. The draft beer they brought me seemed to taste like Singha but I can only guess what it was. Maybe I was a bit distracted by the view through the glass of my wife trying on sets of earrings. Every time I tried to slam it, get up and see what the hell was going on in there, they refilled the glass. By the time I was able to approach the jewelry area, it was too late. The card had just been approved and no one was answering my questions. One thing I’m sure of. These were the most expensive beers on the planet. They should have been pouring me 30-year-old single malt at the price I’m sure I paid.

Entry #3 – Tiger Lager

After recovering from the earlier shock, I went straight to the hotel bar. Tiger Lager is a decent choice. At least I have found a dependable staple and learned that there are more beers to come. Although this one isn’t dubbed a light beer, it sure did go down smooth. I will have to admit it was nothing very special but I was getting a little frog faced by this point anyway.

Entry #4 – Chang Classic Lager – Ayutthaya

Another light lager goes down the hatch. It’s pretty standard fare here. There is nothing good, bad, or unique to report about the taste. I’d get another one if I had to and it ranks about the same as a Tiger.

Entry #5 – Leo Beer

Not sure what town it actually comes from. All of the other print is in Thai. It had some year 2000 seal of approval (should be mediocrity) from München so I gave it a go. I think it is a pilsner but it just didn’t have much flavor. It is drinkable and does contain alcohol so I guess it can do the job. I’d still rather have a Tiger…barely.

…and thus ends this Thursday night edition of the JMT beer tour. I’m sure hoping I’ll find something better then I have so far. Maybe I should do an Alienator International Massage Parlor Tour starting tomorrow instead. I’ll be at Lisa’s Massage across the street on Friday so we’ll see. You have to be careful over here…lots of she males running around.
I buy everything that JMT lists on this site.
slisk
Grand Tourer

Postby Juanmoretime » Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:21 am

Well besides a tasty IPA I made and brought to Thanksgiving, which someone on Wednesday night my brother-in-law and I managed to consume the entire amount I brought.I was forced to do a little shopping on Thanksgiving Day. I found a very delightful Dogfish Chicory Stout! It contained Mexican organic coffee, you know how sleepy beer drinking can make you at times. While not my favorite stout it ranks up there in the top 3. Good body and a very bold flavor.
Juanmoretime
Cat 1

Postby Juanmoretime » Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:21 am

Sorry, not enough coffee at this time. Note to self. Learn to think.
Juanmoretime
Cat 1

Postby slisk » Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:37 pm

Sounds good Mr. Moretime. I'll have to get one of those someday. I'm in search of something dark over here. I did find a Leffe and Chimay at a supermarket and they will be in reserve if the Thais stick with the lagers. We'll let you know.
slisk
Grand Tourer

Postby Juanmoretime » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:06 pm

I thought this thread was in need of an update.

So my first IPA turned out very well but I still wanted it hopper, Ah yes young grasshopper, so that is what I did. All those that sampled claimed it was my finest.

Now on to winter and winter beers. I'm a little behind as I brewed my first real winter beer of the season yesterday although this should be very tasty as well. Happily fermenting in the carboy is an oatmeal, espresso stout. This way you can get drunk and not sleepy and keep your cholesterol in check. Talk about a multi purpose beer! It will be hitting the bottle in about two weeks and another two weeks before its ready for consumption.
Juanmoretime
Cat 1

Postby slisk » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:20 pm

You really know how to do it...torture me that is. Oatmeal Stout, yummmmmmm.
slisk
Grand Tourer

Postby slisk » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:14 am

It's been way too long since this has received an entry...so on we go.

...from the hills of Zagreb, Croatia. Today's sample is a lager named Ožujsko. It is very light and really really good. Less hops than some would like but I could easily suck down plenty of these given the warm temperatures. There are a few more to try and I'll give an update as we move down the coast of Dalmatia.

BTW - Croat girls are friggin' hot. Why did I get married?
slisk
Grand Tourer

Postby Juanmoretime » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:00 am

Did they get even better with beer consumption? I guess I should contribute too. My latest home brew is an Armenian Imperial stout. Not exactly a summer beer but very enjoyable now that its been in the bottle 4 month. It will have its best characteristic's after about a year. Mulling over my next project.
Juanmoretime
Cat 1

Postby slisk » Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:47 am

...and onward we go in search of pivo (beer). Some websites say that you need to hunt sink a Velebitsko, so I did.

"Available at a few select outlets in town, and certainly not in big supermarkets, this sought-after beer is brewed under age-old German laws of purity in Lika, a modest drive from Zagreb. Holding out against the majors, the Velebitsko brewer gained experience in Germany before setting up in Croatia in 1997. Locals travel across town for a cold one of quality."

It was way more hoppy at the finish and considering the heat wave, the local Ožujsko still takes the honors for now. I'm going into Split today in seach of a Tomislav Dark...
slisk
Grand Tourer

Postby Mike K. » Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:34 pm

I will be kicking around in Prague this October. Any recommendations for brew tasting? I would be glad to return with some beer for you guys if you're interested.
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Mike K.
Cat 1

PreviousNext

Return to General cycling