Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

Tune Kom-Vor

Tune Kom-Vor

Postby Ypsylon » Mon May 02, 2011 12:25 pm

I finally got in some good saddle time on my Tune Komm-Vor saddle. I know that saddles are an individual thing, and I wish I had the time to formulate a thourough review right now, but I figured I'd give some initial thoughts nevertheless and update this when I can.

So, on to the review.

For those that wonder about the name, it's a play on words, in German you can read it as "Komfort" (comfort) or "komm vor" which means "come to the front".

Out of the box the saddle looks really nice and is very well made. The transition from the leather to the carbon is perfectly flat, too. You can still tell it's handmade if you look at the rails hard enough, but the finish is very good.

I aborted my attempt to mount it on an old XLC labeled seatpost which was the first thing I found, as the rails appeared too massive to me to fit the head. I did mount it to a Cervélo aero post with some KCNC yokes and a New Ultimate set-back post though without problems.

The nose does have a sharpish edge at the bottom, but they are bending inwards and in around 10 hours spent on the saddle now I couldn't find any damage done to my bibs.

So far I've used it for a couple of shorter indoor sessions and over the last week-end for two consecutive days of three and four hour rides. The latter was a very slow ride with a couple of usually completely non-competitive friends of both genders who realized the huge local race with three mean climbs they all signed up for is next week-end. So that's four hours of just sitting in the saddle with little to no pedaling, the perfect stress test for a saddle, imho. It passed it very well.

Long story short, for me the saddle is a definite keeper and I'm thinking about ordering a second one.

So far I've used a Selle Italia Flite, Flite XC flow, SLR and a Specialized Toupé 143mm, of which I liked the Toupé the best. The SLR was perfectly ok, too, but there was this very odd day once every other month or so where I just couldn't bear it.

According to the Specialized ass-pad I'm a wide saddle person, but apparantly width isn't everything.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Re: Tune Kom-Vor

Postby pritchet74 » Mon May 02, 2011 5:04 pm

I have to agree with your excellent ass-essment of this saddle. I have been on one for over 6 months now and I just love it.
:banana:
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby Juanmoretime » Tue May 03, 2011 9:18 am

I have one on my 29er single speed. Can't say I'm completely in love with it since I've only spent a few hours on it but that has been good.
For my next trick I will set myself on fire!
Juanmoretime
Cat 1

Postby Ypsylon » Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:36 pm

Today on a fast and tricky descend I tried to foolishly follow a guy of whom I know that the laws of physics don't apply to him. So, through a turn I was way too fast, missed the entry into the turn completely and decided to just take off as much speed as I could and then rely on my MTB skills and go straight into the woods. There was a 45° dirt wall going back up the other side, so I pointed my bike between two trees, held my bar firmly, gripped my saddle with my legs and the next moment I was standing a meter and a half over the road, in clipless shoes, a road bike between my legs, team mates yelling what in the world I was doing there and had no clue how the hell I was supposed to get back down on the road.

Why do I post this here?

When my rear wheel hit the dirt wall I leaned foward but the compression slammed my behind against the saddle really hard (very painfull) and I was rather sure it would destroy the carbon rails, but the Komm Vor is completely unimpressed.

Not really a surprise after all, since it's good for MTB use, but I don't think that Tune assumed people would ride their hardtails at 120 psi.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Postby pritchet74 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:08 pm

Wow. I have slammed a few potholes with my K-V saddle, but man, that is amazing!
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby pritchet74 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:11 pm

I am still riding my Tune KV saddle and I still love it as much as ever.
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby Fuchs » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:42 pm

but it is still really ugly ;)
Fuchs
Cat 2

Postby pritchet74 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:26 pm

What?!?

That's a sexy saddle!
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby Fuchs » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:52 pm

i do not like this one. its mostly just a tast-thing
Fuchs
Cat 2

Postby nikoli8 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:24 am

I wanna get mine recovered.. George at Tune qouted me 90 euro...

Im fine with paying that, but the shipping both ways is almost 70 Euro...

I love this eat and would buy another.. but wanna see if recovering is an option...

Also I need and Orange one and it doesnt seem the biys here have it... can they special order....?
nikoli8
Cyclotourist

Postby Ypsylon » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:59 am

Yeah, shipping is what it is. I'm sure they could get you the saddle in orange, but I'd hazzard the guess it will take a while.

Just e-mail them. With Trek World right now, it might take a moment for them to get back to you, but they are usually really good.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Return to Reviews