Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

High end Italian frames

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Re: High end Italian frames

Postby über-goober » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:29 pm

You see Pritch, he's a 'top drawer' kinda guy.

colnago-dresser.jpg
the problem? could be the nut behind the handlebars.
über-goober
Cat 2

Postby pritchet74 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:47 pm

Oh niiiiiiice!
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby Cheers! » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:37 pm

What about a Willer Zero 7?

Cheers!
Cat 2

Postby Fibre-Lyte » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:35 am

Wow, subtle! :D
Fibre-Lyte
Manufacturer

Postby Cheers! » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:01 am

:D

Ok it looks like I'll keep my eye out on a 2012 R5 frame with Super Record from the factory. Ditch the wheels, sell the cranks and install lighting cranks. Find a easton SLX3 bar...

I can't find anything that I really lust over from Italy.
Cheers!
Cat 2

Postby Ypsylon » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:23 am

That's funny, I stumbled over the Wilier .7 and thought that would match your description, but when I found the two paintjobs, I decided to go to bed instead of posting here.

I still think it fits your bill and would be worth a test ride, if you get a chance, and it would be a challenge to make a nice looking bike.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Postby c50jim » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:24 am

It's funny but most of those "Italian" bikes except the old Colnagos, the C59 and the Sarto are made in the east. That's not necessarily a bad thing since those who make lots learn all the tricks and the bikes still have Italian geometry. Personally, I'd go with Colnago. The handling just works for me. However, if you like the Cervelo handling, a Colnago might be a little slow and you might prefer a Wilier or Pinarello. If you like Cervelo, the R5 would be good, just don't go for one of those S5s with the goofy shapes.
c50jim
Cat 2

Postby stumpytrunks » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:46 pm

How about this? A local guy has got one and it looks sensational. The fork to frame transition is amazing

Pain hurts
stumpytrunks
The Tassie Devil

Postby FAQinc » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:02 pm

The Protos in the flesh is a very sexy thing indeed, I like the start of big front and then go small back.

@uber-goober isn't that a pic from the Sigma sport store in Hampton Wick UK? OR if it isn't it looks really similar http://www.sigmasport.co.uk/content/ShopTour
Flatulence for men the musk that lingers.
FAQinc
Cat 2

Postby Cheers! » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:19 am

So are we all slowly coming to the conclusion that there isn't an Italian frame that can beat a cervelo R5 and/or Parlee Z5SL ?

I think the Willer Zero7 is the closest so far....
Cheers!
Cat 2

Postby Fibre-Lyte » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:30 pm

FAQinc wrote:@uber-goober isn't that a pic from the Sigma sport store in Hampton Wick UK? OR if it isn't it looks really similar http://www.sigmasport.co.uk/content/ShopTour

Wow, 10/10 for observation skills, or is that your local store? :D
Fibre-Lyte
Manufacturer

Postby FAQinc » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:51 pm

maybe a 3 minute walk away ;)

@Cheers! Just pick a continent you have plenty of choice on either side Stateside you have your Special Venges your Super Six Ultimates Independent Fabrications XSs as well in Europe you still have your Storcks Fascenario 0.6 ISs some Scott Foils some Look 695s some Pina Doggies and Time RXRS Ulteams. The common thing about all of them is that they are special and individual and expensive buying each anyone of them would make for a special unique riding experience and rating them as something less than amazing is crazy.

I would say buy the bike that makes you want to go ride in the morning just by sitting in the hallway!
Flatulence for men the musk that lingers.
FAQinc
Cat 2

Postby Tommasini » Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:06 pm

Of the original list I'd be inclined to look toward the Wilier for a modern snappy and lightweight italian ride.

While not on the OP's original ist, I've been fully satisfied with Tommasini's for a number of years - still all made in italy too. The current top end VLC-2's rank closer to a Colnago for weight (around 1050 depending on size), offer a super nice and durable finish, and should be a great a all day ride - I say should be based on my prior Tommi's as my VLC-2 isn't built yet. Their top end carbon frames are tube to tube constructed so my last 2 carbons from Tommasini have been custom geometry (only slight tweeks - but done at no added cost). The Velocista that I linked to below is one of my two to pick from for daily rides - the frame design is about 4 - 5 years old (1/1/8" lower headtube) so when I build up my VLC-2 (1 1/2 head tube and oversized BB area) I suspect it will be on par with the BB and front end stiffness of the current competion - but as one poster noted, it's also got that extra exclusivity and the look itself helps inspire one to get out and ride (The Campy SR helps too).

http://s155.photobucket.com/albums/s314 ... 8acrop.jpg

http://s155.photobucket.com/albums/s314 ... oom006.jpg
Tommasini
Cat 4

Postby EFHeath » Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:34 pm

No one has mentioned the Moser "zero zero uno", which is available in custom geometry and is made in Italy, (by Sarto, I have been told [?]) It doesn't look that exciting in a side-on photo, but looks pretty cool in person.
EFHeath
Cyclotourist

Postby Mat » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:27 am

Probably a bit late, but never the less, I have a Cervélo SLC-SL and it was/ is a great crit bike as it is fast and turns on a dime. It was pretty twitchy though on descents and throw in some crosswinds whilst descending and it's not fun (not for me at least)
I was reading about Colnago bringing out a new bike (the C59) and from the specs it sounded like it would suit me, so I ordered one and haven't looked back since, it is the nicest thing I have ridden, it's a great all-rounder, it just seems to do everything well. It might be slightly heavier than the Cervélo, I haven't bothered weighing it properly, I guess it all depends how you dress them up. I had the SLC-SL pretty light, but had to pack a bit on it to race anyway so I don't really care about that these days (a sin to some perhaps) but I'd just prefer to ride faster and more comfortably (in different conditions).
To put in perspective, I liked the C59 so much I bought a spare, just in case it was stolen/ crashed and I would be without it whilst waiting for another to arrive, or heaven forbid they stop making them when Ernesto departs.
I do look enviously at the new Wilier, but I can't quite justify another spare bike... :roll:
Mat
Cat 2

Previous

Return to General cycling