Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

Reynolds Wheels

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Reynolds Wheels

Postby pickupel » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:09 pm

Hi,

I am considering upgrading the wheelset on my Cannondale Supersix EVO (currently Mavic Ksyrium SLs) to a set of carbon clinchers. In the research I have done so far, both the Reynolds 46s and the Reynolds Assaults receive positive press, but I was wondering what the major difference between the two sets is. I can see that the 46s are slightly lighter, have better hubs and bladed spokes, as well the Swirl Lip Generator. My question is, do these upgrades make enough of a difference to the average rider to warrant the huge hike in price? Is anybody who has ridden both able to make a recommendation?

Currently I ride as part of a fairly competitive group in the south of England (rolling hills and short, sharp climbs being the predominant terrain), and have raced for several years at a decent level. I intend to return to racing in the UK this winter, building toward next season, and want the wheels to do it. I will be using the wheels for training as well as racing, and so value the ability to change a tube on the road, rather than glue a tubular.

Any help would be great, thanks,

Ed
pickupel
Cyclotourist

Re: Reynolds Wheels

Postby Fibre-Lyte » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:04 pm

One thing I would consider is UK roads. At the moment they are rough, with lots of pot holes, certainly in my area. That's potentially fatal to a carbon rim. I'd save them for race day and not use them for training.

You might want to consider RAR wheels. Reynolds rims (I believe) and beautifully built.
Fibre-Lyte
Manufacturer

Postby pickupel » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:10 am

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll have a look into RAR — have to admit that I hadn't considered them before. One of the major reasons I was drawn to the Reynolds was their crash replacement scheme. It's usually an add on for £100-200, but at the moment it is being offered for free with the wheels. Under the scheme Reynolds will replace a crash damaged wheel for free within two years of purchase — which would give me peace of mind when riding on UK roads!
pickupel
Cyclotourist

Postby Fibre-Lyte » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:58 am

That's a pretty good offer from Reynolds, assuming the small print reads ok.
Fibre-Lyte
Manufacturer

Postby Cheers! » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:14 pm

I've been riding Reynolds RIMs since 2007.

I have a pair of wheels built using 2008ish DV46C rims with Sapim Spokes and Tune Mig70Mag190. So far so good. No issues at all. I'm sure lots have changed in 5 years. But I easily have 25,000 kilometers ridden on these wheels and not a single issue at all. This include pinch flats where the gravel/rock actually pinched the tube and nicked the carbon rim. Only the clear coat was slightly scuffed.
Cheers!
Cat 2

Return to General cycling