Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

High end Italian frames

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

High end Italian frames

Postby Cheers! » Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:32 pm

So the question and urge has come to enjoy the italian bikes.

I'm a big Cervelo fan boy. I've been a huge supporter of their efforts and even applied for engineering job postings there in the past. They are Canadian success story (are or were, depends on how you interpret the sale of Cervelo). I have a 2006 soloist team w/ Sram Red and chris king wheels as my everyday bike. I have a 2008 SLC-SL with reynolds/tune wheels @ 13.22 lbs.

But I really want to try Campy Super Record out, and I would love to have an italian bike.

Which frame would you choose to build up a beauty?

Kuota KOM?
Colnago M10S
Bianchi (not familiar with their offerings)
Wilier (again not familiar with them)
fondriest (even more clueless)
pinarello? (seems very expensive)

I don't even know what other brands I can think of...

I'm more interested in lightweight climbing bike rather than pure aero (the SLC-SL is my aero bike).

Thoughts? I don't even know where to start...
Cheers!
Cat 2

Re: High end Italian frames

Postby Ypsylon » Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:10 pm

I see where you are coming from, if my thumbs weren't way too short to use Campagnolo shifters, I would probably have done this or would want to do it.

Pinarellos have a history here for being built into beautiful bikes, but they're not light.

The one brand I can think of that appears to be missing is DeRosa.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Postby Cheers! » Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:38 pm

Ah yes... De Rosa... I just looked at their website. Which is the top frame to consider? The King RS? or the Proto?

I think the baseline comparison is a Cervelo R5 or R3 SL (if I can find a NOS 54cm)...

Baseline in terms of performance and also in price.
Cheers!
Cat 2

Postby Matteo » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:38 am

I cannot really help with comparing the bikes on your list, but you could also consider a smaller builder. Sarto makes custom carbon bikes (they are apparently also building some of the stock Crumpton frames?), so you could probably go for a light frame. WR Compositi also makes frames, but I don't know anything about them to be honest.
Matteo
Cat 3

Postby über-goober » Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:57 am

I love my '09 De Rosa KIng 3. It does everything well and remains upgrade-proof as my main road bike so far.

But for a climbing bike the Sarto and Willier options are a lot lighter. 1170g for my frame vs sub-800 for those..
the problem? could be the nut behind the handlebars.
über-goober
Cat 2

Postby Fibre-Lyte » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:12 pm

This doesn't help for a lightweight climbing bike, but if I was building an Italian bike, it would be a Pegoretti. I think that says a lot coming from someone who works for a carbon fibre parts manufacturer! :D
Fibre-Lyte
Manufacturer

Postby über-goober » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:17 pm

Stephan have you seen the new Falz fork that Pegoretti has?

falz.jpg

It's from far, far eastern Italy.. :D
the problem? could be the nut behind the handlebars.
über-goober
Cat 2

Postby Cheers! » Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:45 pm

How about this one?

http://www.viner.it/index.php?option=co ... 47&lang=en

I think that would guarantee no one has one withing a 200 mile radius of me.
Cheers!
Cat 2

Postby pritchet74 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:49 pm

I can't believe that I haven't seen this thread before. I have been thinking the same thing lately. I LOVE my aero road bike, but I have ALWAYS wanted a Colnago. I don't know what model I would want, but one of the ones from a few years back that had the awesome paint jobs. So beautiful!
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby Fibre-Lyte » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:00 pm

I would have said Colnago as well, but a lightweight climbing bike was mentioned and Colnagos aren't very lights.

@Cheers! if you consider a Viner bike be careful. I'm not sure what the situation is, but we recently had a customer contact us about modifying an ISP Viner frame into a separate seat post system. He said that Viner used to do the conversion as an option, but they're currently in Administration. I'm not sure if that's just the UK part, or the Italian part, the whole lot or whether the customer had misunderstood the situation, but worth checking out before you consider buying one.
Fibre-Lyte
Manufacturer

Postby Mike K. » Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:10 pm

I have a Colnago C50 HP that I will never part with. It's very predictable and stable which makes it great for long days in the saddle; but it's porkie so I have a Scott Addict R2 for fast ascending. If I did another Italian build it wouldn't be a C59-too heavy, and too traditional-lugs, standard BB. Now this new Wilier that Lampre is using in the Tour-that's one hot and innovative Italian ride!: /Users/mike/Desktop/wilier_cento1sr_full_view_3_600.jpg
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Mike K.
Cat 1

Postby Mike K. » Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:13 pm

That photo non operative. See this link for a series of photos of the new Wilier Cento 1 SR: http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/lam ... ad-machine
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Mike K.
Cat 1

Postby pritchet74 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:37 am

That Wilier is actually pretty damn sweet looking.

I started riding in the mid-90's and what was always awesome about Colnagos was the paint jobs and the chrome lugs - it just made for a beautiful frameset. That seems to be lost now. I just checked out the Colnago website and they all just look like the other carbon bikes out there. The only Colnago that made me want one is the Master 30th - which is a steel bike painted like they had them back in the day. Why can't they paint them like that now!!!!!????
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby Ypsylon » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:07 am

Remember this one?
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Postby pritchet74 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:15 pm

I do. Very nice, but still not the old steel ones with the awesome paint.
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Next

Return to General cycling