Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

Giro Air Attack

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Giro Air Attack

Postby Ypsylon » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:32 am

New aero road helmet by Giro:

From a horses for courses point of view I guess this fills the windy crit with no mirrors along the course niche.

Jeff, you got me hooked on this entire aero thing, now you better come up with a paintjob that makes this look like a regular helmet.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Re: Grio Air Attack

Postby pritchet74 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:36 pm

I need me one of those helmets.
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Re: Giro Air Attack

Postby Fibre-Lyte » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:04 am

I was just looking at that thinking it looks like a track helmet and funnily enough, I think the rider is on a track. I like the black one, not sure about the white one though.
Fibre-Lyte
Manufacturer

Postby dalai » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:06 am

Fibre-Lyte wrote:I was just looking at that thinking it looks like a track helmet and funnily enough, I think the rider is on a track. I like the black one, not sure about the white one though.

I'd suggest it is trying to cover both bases. Though as a track helmet with the vents I'd say it's a fail.

As an aero road helmet, it has possibilities. Unfortunately I doubt I will be able to use it, as we have a different Helmet testing standard in Australia. So helmets that may not have a big market here usually don't go through the expensive testing procedure...
dalai
Cat 1

Postby stumpytrunks » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:16 pm

An absolute travesty of a design, back to the eighties! Renshaw was using one the other day and it looked like a giant lump of polystyrene.
Pain hurts
stumpytrunks
The Tassie Devil

Postby Mike K. » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:51 pm

I once had an artist do some amazing faux painting in my home. His primary job was painting sets for movies and the theater. If you can find someone of that caliber that can work with an air brush I bet he can simulate the vents on a more conventional Giro helmet-like the Ionos or Aeon, thereby rendering (no pun intended) a more appealing look to the eye.
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Mike K.
Cat 1

Postby UNCrayburn » Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:23 am

A few months ago (well before any press had come out on these helmets), the owner of my LBS showed up on an early morning group ride wearing one of these. At the time, the rest of us thought he was wearing some kind of skateboarder helmet, and he caught plenty of hell for it. Giro needs to really tout the technical advantages of this thing if they want to get the helmets moving off the shelves.
- UNCrayburn
UNCrayburn
Cat 2

Postby Fibre-Lyte » Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:03 am

I'm all for advertising, but I've just read that these won't be available to the general public for another year!! How true is that? I wouldn't mind trying one, but at my age I'll have forgotten all about it by then! :D
Fibre-Lyte
Manufacturer

Postby pritchet74 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:16 am

As much as I love the idea of one, it really would only be practical for the early racing season. The duration of the racing season here is HOT. The Aeon that I am using is so amazing on the ventilation side I just don't see how I could ride in this when it's over 100 degrees outside. But, I might have to try it just to be sure.
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby Fibre-Lyte » Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:20 pm

I can barely stand up straight in 100 degrees, never mind race. If I had one of these helmets I'd take it off to you! :D Just for the record, it's sumer here now, 1.30pm and a scorching 14 degrees C (57 agrees F I think?). Saying that, I still have a problem with my head getting hot when I'm riding!
Fibre-Lyte
Manufacturer

Postby ms6073 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:03 pm

Fibre-Lyte wrote:won't be available to the general public for another year!! How true is that?
That had to be a misprint as I was surprised to see some in stock at our LBS just last week. Not sure how well they will sell along the Texas Gulf Coast with average temp temps in the high 90's and 90% or higher humidity, nobody is happy wearing helmets. On the other hand, there is not a day goes by where I dont find myself swearing up a storm on the moring ride when I pass by other rider(s) wearing arm skins/coolers. :?
ms6073
Cyclotourist

Postby Ypsylon » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:46 pm

"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Postby dalai » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:23 pm

:shock:

:lol:

Plus Sara Gillow riding a front disc in the road TT!
dalai
Cat 1

Postby pritchet74 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:08 pm

I love that red bull helmet
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby mdeth1313 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:42 pm

dalai wrote::shock:

:lol:

Plus Sara Gillow riding a front disc in the road TT!

How does one go to the bathroom in that thing?
Words are like bullets, I let them pass through me.
mdeth1313
Cat 1

Return to General cycling