Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

Introducing Niki, pritchet74's MTB build

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Introducing Niki, pritchet74's MTB build

Postby pritchet74 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:09 am

When I first started racing bikes in the mid-90's the dream bike was a Merlin. By 1996 I was on an early 90's Merlin road bike that I purchased new directly from Greg LeMond's brother-in-law (the guy who shot him in that famous hunting accident). I loved that bike and I always wanted a Merlin MTB to go with it. I was feeling all nostalgic a couple of months ago and found one locally and jumped at the chance to get it. The problem is that I can't afford to build her up the way that I want, so this won't be finished until next year or possibly later.

Then a few weeks later he told me that he was going to sell the wheels that he had with the bike, so I bought those too. Chris King hubs and Mavic rims - I forget the model, but they aren't the light ones. Hubs are a really cool light purple that looks really good next to the ti frame. Wheels are for disc brakes, but he used this thing that converted the frame from canti brakes to disc brakes. I forget what it's called though.

Here she is next to Victoria.

FWB had some things on eBay a while back, so I picked up these Ashima lightweight disc brakes and also a set from Recon that has a ti cassette and grip shifters. I loved grip-shift when I used to ride a MTB back in the day, so I am sticking with that for shifters.

I have some Ashima rotors that I got from FWB too, but that's all I have so far. I will be going with SRAM shifters since they go with the shifters I have. Cranks? Not sure, but I would really like to get a SRM since I can't bear the thought of not having data from a ride, but that doesn't really go with the idea of trying to make this build as light as possible. Then again, Niki Gudex (who this bike is being named after) rode for SRM, so maybe it's a requirement. I will see if a set of MTB SRM cranks end up on eBay cheap in the next year. For bars and stem I have no idea. I will absolutely be using Ergon grips - I just don't have them yet. RTW - which ones should I get? I think that just leaves the fork - it seems like every year the forks get lighter and better and being that I get damn near everything used (it's the only way I can afford the stuff that I want) this will probably be the absolute last thing that I get. Not sure what to get though. Rock Shox or Fox?

Anyways, it should be a fun ride once she is done!

And here is a pic of me with Niki Gudex at Interbike a few years back. Shitty photo, but it's better than nothing.

Here's a couple of better pics from her website:
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Re: Introducing Niki, pritchet74's MTB build

Postby Juanmoretime » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:00 pm

Fox, nothing more to say.
For my next trick I will set myself on fire!
Juanmoretime
Cat 1

Postby Ypsylon » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:10 pm

Nice!

I hear you on the SRM. I'd have twice as many bikes if I wasn't as addicted as I am. Funny enough, that might even be a good thing.

Fox is always a good choice. What center to crown will the frame work with?
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Postby pritchet74 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:54 pm

I dot even know what center to crown means.
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby Ypsylon » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:20 pm

Depending on how tall your fork is you will get a different HT angle. Frames are designed with a certain height of fork in mind.

Usually this boils down to travel. Not all forks with 100mm travel have the same height, but it's usually close enough.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Postby pritchet74 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:37 pm

Makes sense. No idea though. I might need to look into that...
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby Fibre-Lyte » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:00 am

It's got to be a 100mm fork, surely? The other thing to think about is the steerer. I've noticed recently that the variety is huge now. Tapered steerers are one that appears frequently in online sales. Shame they don't fit my bike! Does the Merlin have a disc caliper mounting point at the rear? My poor eyes can't make one out. Very nice frame though! 8)
Fibre-Lyte
Manufacturer

Postby pritchet74 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:39 am

I have an adapter to use a rear disc brake. I will probably go with a 100 mm fork as that makes the most sense for the riding I will do (XC racing possible, but only on "nice" courses) as I am a roadie. Tapered is out. This year I believe that both Fox and Rock Shox came out with lighter forks and I think that I read somewhere that Fox is going lighter again next year. Hence my wanting to wait until the last minute to get a fork.

Juan - why Fox? You know how I love having the info.... :mrgreen:
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby Juanmoretime » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:04 pm

Jeff, Fox always seems to have much better construction and materials. Rockshox seems to use plastic to lighten things, Fox uses much more metal. When I ran a Reba it never steered well always feeling like it was loose. I also had to warranty it several times when each side of the fork decided to puke oil. You do have to maintain both shocks but the Rockshox general require much more frequent maintenance to keep them in the happy zone. When summer hits I want to ride not do maintenance.
Juanmoretime
Cat 1

Postby pritchet74 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:39 pm

Excellent explanation. Sold!

Which model do I want?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby Juanmoretime » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:28 am

Juanmoretime
Cat 1

Postby Fibre-Lyte » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:47 pm

Juanmoretime wrote:Fox, nothing more to say.

....and there was me thinking that statement referred to Niki Gudex! :grin:
Fibre-Lyte
Manufacturer

Postby Cheers! » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:04 am

based on the era of the frame, I'm almost certain it will handle best with an 80mm travel fork.

I too believe in fox.
Cheers!
Cat 2

Postby pritchet74 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:03 am

Thanks for the input!
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby über-goober » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:12 am

Nice bike Pritch!! :positive: :BikeVader:
Here's mine.. a couple years newer without the cable hanger.

I had to shorten the fork a lot, down to about 65mm. The front end was just too high and i was falling over backwards climbing hills.
the problem? could be the nut behind the handlebars.
über-goober
Cat 2

Next

Return to General cycling