Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

Scott 3 - NEW PIC 7/6 - new bars

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Re: Scott 3 (the final frontier)- NEW PICS! 6/12

Postby Juanmoretime » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:38 am

:toppie: I does look great. While I have loved my front H3 it seems like I've had some faster races lately with my Zipp 808 up front, a disc in the back. :shock:

For me a cage is on for training. Racing 20K or less is no bottle or cage 20K plus is one cage and bottle.
For my next trick I will set myself on fire!
Juanmoretime
Cat 1

Postby mdeth1313 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:20 am

Now that we're in finals mode and I wasn't tutoring late tonight, after dinner I went out and put a chain on the bike, the new saddle came today (which looks awful in the picture, but man is it working for my butt) and I rode up and down the cul de sac a bit. I am the proud owner of a freaking missle! :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :applause:

I can't wait for the stem and cage mount to get here.

I keep looking at this and thinking it needs white bar tape. The stem will be a 3t arx pro so it's also gonna have the white stripe. Thoughts?

also- can anyone give me some tips on how to get my pics down to the required size without having to make them miniatures?
Attachments
scott plasma ac a.jpg
Words are like bullets, I let them pass through me.
mdeth1313
Cat 1

Postby Juanmoretime » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:38 am

Use a photohost such as Phototbucket and paste the link in your thread.
Juanmoretime
Cat 1

Postby Fibre-Lyte » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:11 pm

I can see your reasoning for thinking about the white bar tape, but I think I'd stay black. I have a feeling that the white bar tape might be too much and look wrong. Only one way to find out though! :D
Fibre-Lyte
Manufacturer

Postby pritchet74 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:27 am

So, when are you going to have your position wind tunnel tested?
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby mdeth1313 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:43 am

pritchet74 wrote:So, when are you going to have your position wind tunnel tested?

Yeah, let's get around to having it set up correctly first. So, after an unexpected father's day gift, I was able to order an x-lab superwing (which will allow me to store some stuff for longer rides- lest we forget about my rash of tubular flats w/ my hed wheels last year). The 3t 70mm stem (73 degree) seems to be what I needed and the only bummer now is I need to rig up something for the garmin to sit on. I have a profile mount coming w/ the superwing, but I'm thinking a little home depot pvc type deal w/ some dremmeling might work as well.

Oh yeah, also waiting on some white bar tape, have to give it a shot!
mdeth1313
Cat 1

Postby Juanmoretime » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:25 pm

I moved my Garmin this year from the stem to a more forward on the aerobars using a Profile Design mount. This makes it easier to watch my power readings and watch down the road while in the aero position. I know some here that can testify that is a good thing to do.
Juanmoretime
Cat 1

Postby mdeth1313 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:00 pm

Juanmoretime wrote:I moved my Garmin this year from the stem to a more forward on the aerobars using a Profile Design mount. This makes it easier to watch my power readings and watch down the road while in the aero position. I know some here that can testify that is a good thing to do.

Funny, I ordered one of those last night. In the meantime I was able to mount it on one of the extensions. I just did a 15 mile ride and, well, I'm hooked! That was freaking awesome!

Now I have to go to work.
mdeth1313
Cat 1

Postby mdeth1313 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:46 am

The latest-

Until the x-lab wing comes I have a tacx saddle mount so I put that on the other evening, leveled off my saddle a bit and moved the cages from the frame to behind the saddle. THE CAGES SUCK! They'll have to do until replacements arrive.

I got my 2nd ride in this morning before work, 15 miles of flat w/ 1 short climb. OMG my fitness will never be the same. Not sure how correct my position is but the feedback I'm getting from my body is pretty good. I'm loving this. :applause:
mdeth1313
Cat 1

Postby pritchet74 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:36 am

Get someone to take a photo of you and post it. The eye can be a really good wind tunnel.
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby Juanmoretime » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:09 pm

Like Jeff said get pictures and have someone video you riding from the front back and sides. A handy hill and coasting down each time with different equipment or position changes can help but you will need to try each change several times to get an average to be more accurate. Or get a power meter! :twisted: :applause:
Juanmoretime
Cat 1

Postby mdeth1313 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:28 pm

I'm going to try to get some pics up later of the 99% done version. I'm only waiting on bottle cages that will actually hold the bottles in. The xlab sonic wing is on and my white bar tape showed up so I put that on as well.
mdeth1313
Cat 1

Postby mdeth1313 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:58 am

I think I'm done for awhile. I wasn't happy w/ the 3t handlebars- when I went to the brake levers I felt out of sorts, I was spread too wide and I was too upright. Even when I was on the extensions I felt like my forearms were up too high. I found the PRO missle bars at realcyclist/dept of goods and gave them a shot. HUGE DIFFERENCE. My arms are about 2cm lower than before and I feel much more comfortable and it feels like I'm generating more power than before. When I switch to the brake levers I don't feel out of sorts, I'm still in a somewhat more aero position and it doesn't feel awkward at all. Of course the 3t's were 42cm and the PRO is 38.

Oh yeah, dropping 220 + grams off the bike isn't bad either.

I am having so much fun with this and it's doing wonders for my regular riding.
Attachments
Scott Plasma LTD 7-6 a.jpg
mdeth1313
Cat 1

Re: Scott 3 - NEW PIC 7/6 - new bars

Postby pritchet74 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:46 pm

That front end looks much better. I love the white bar tape too.

It's looking good!!!!
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Re: Scott 3 - NEW PIC 7/6 - new bars

Postby mdeth1313 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:50 pm

pritchet74 wrote:That front end looks much better. I love the white bar tape too.

It's looking good!!!!

Thanks-- I'm kind of bummed, but kind of excited too. After doing a couple of longer rides on this bike, I found my shoulders and upper back were really hurting. I went over to my LBS w/ the bike and we came to the conclusion it was a bit too big for me, even using a 70mm stem and moving the seat as far forward as possible, it's just not working. So, I went scouring the internet to see what I could find and sure enough, after about 2 days, I dropped a bid on a quintana roo bike on ebay (size small), went to bed and woke up the next morning to find I won. I think it was about $960 w/ shipping, and the bike comes complete. As much as I love the look of the scott, it's not working and while I could take it or leave it w/ the look of the new bike, the geometry should be ideal for me and performance is the priority.

The good news is I'll be able to sell the scott as a complete bike and I should be able to get the same amount I paid (or more) for its replacement. I'll probably move just about everything from the scott over to the QR frame except the brakes. The QR has a mix of dura ace, ultegra and 105 components, but I'm happier w/ my sram stuff. Maybe I'll name the new bike "Kanga".
mdeth1313
Cat 1

PreviousNext

Return to General cycling