Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

Introducing Victoria....... (new wheels on Page 31)

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Re: Introducing Victoria....... (with new shoes on Page 21)

Postby dalai » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:38 am

j0m wrote:I thought it was every cyclist?

I hope not... Hope to never be a cyclist then. My wife is a cyclist by this definition as she broke her collarbone riding (hit by a taxi whilst training), though as it wasn't fixed via surgery never mended neatly.

Surgery definitely sounds the best option!

Also interested to know what happened.
dalai
Cat 1

Postby Thomskie » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:01 pm

Get well soon!
The photo is awesome. Is it on your desktop? :-)
Thomskie
Cat 1

Postby Fibre-Lyte » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:03 pm

I was attending our national time trial 25 mile championships today and in the HQ I saw a sign that I thought was very apt to add into this thread. Not intending to cause any grief, especially as I'm not sure how the accident happened, but as head down tt riding was mentioned I thought it appropriate.
Attachments
ttsign.jpg
Fibre-Lyte
Manufacturer

Postby pritchet74 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:03 am

They should have that at more TT events. I wouldn't say that was the cause though, more just lack of focus. Extream lack of focus.
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby pritchet74 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:10 am

Finally got to actually check Vicky out.
Luckily it looks like just the derailleur hanger is trashed. It still shifts perfect with no chain on. Thank you Cervelo for having a removable alloy dérailleur hanger.
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby dalai » Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:28 am

pritchet74 wrote:Luckily it looks like just the derailleur hanger is trashed. It still shifts perfect with no chain on. Thank you Cervelo for having a removable alloy dérailleur hanger.

Can't understand why some brands sell bikes without replaceable derailleur hangers!

Glad not more serious damage to Vicky...
dalai
Cat 1

Postby Ypsylon » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:42 am

I guess the reasons are better shifting and lighter weight. I'm not sure if those are compelling reasons, but that's a decision everybody has to make for himself.

I know my LBS had a customer who was explained that the Scott CR1 had a non replaceable RD hanger, but that was the one he wanted. So he wrecked it and showed up at the LBS screaming every single day for an entire week and then got himself a lawyer to sue Scott. I believe the lawyer was able to talk him out of it, but I'm not sure.

I'd be curious to know what would have happened with a fixed cf rd hanger. Either it would have snapped or the rd would have gone into crash mode or that would have been wrecked. Of course it could have been a combo of the above.

I do know that if the hanger was toast I'd have a very nice track bike on the way to me. :grin:

I do sorta like a2j's approach with a fixed RD hanger that can be replaced in the factory, but I suppose that only works for frames where you can pretty much be sure the owner has a couple of other bikes to ride in the meantime.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Postby BMANX » Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:50 pm

Doesn't everyone have a few other bikes they can ride while one is being fixed. Who only has one bike? Silly people.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT

Cervelo SLC 5890g/12.98lbs
BMANX
Cat 1

Postby pritchet74 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:36 pm

So after the rest week that I had last week prepping for the race and now being off the bike for 7 days, the legs feel GREAT! Collarbone is healing quite nicely as well and I can type at the computer with both hands - that's a huge step. I am just itching to get back on the trainer and just spin a bit.

Now that I have had time to really reflect on the crash - the biggest things I have taken away are these:
1. Racing a TT on less than ideal fitness isn't really a great idea.
2. Having the SRM is awesome, because I was able to download the race file and see that I crashed at exactly the 2/3 point of the race. Also, the whole rest of the race was with a slight tailwind, so I was able to make a spreadsheet and extrapolate a finish time based on what I am pretty sure my average speed for the remaining portion of the race would have been. I am very confident in that estimate and it gives me something to shoot for next year.
3. Most importantly, I need more time on Vicky - not just Victoria. Everyone says it and just so true - you need time on the TT bike in the TT position if you want to race TT's.
4. I need to ride more. I don't ride enough.
5. I really do love my bike.
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby mdeth1313 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:16 pm

pritchet74 wrote:So after the rest week that I had last week prepping for the race and now being off the bike for 7 days, the legs feel GREAT! Collarbone is healing quite nicely as well and I can type at the computer with both hands - that's a huge step. I am just itching to get back on the trainer and just spin a bit.

Now that I have had time to really reflect on the crash - the biggest things I have taken away are these:
1. Racing a TT on less than ideal fitness isn't really a great idea.
2. Having the SRM is awesome, because I was able to download the race file and see that I crashed at exactly the 2/3 point of the race. Also, the whole rest of the race was with a slight tailwind, so I was able to make a spreadsheet and extrapolate a finish time based on what I am pretty sure my average speed for the remaining portion of the race would have been. I am very confident in that estimate and it gives me something to shoot for next year.
3. Most importantly, I need more time on Vicky - not just Victoria. Everyone says it and just so true - you need time on the TT bike in the TT position if you want to race TT's.
4. I need to ride more. I don't ride enough.
5. I really do love my bike.

It's all good until #5-- painkillers right? :lol:
Words are like bullets, I let them pass through me.
mdeth1313
Cat 1

Postby pritchet74 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:07 pm

Vicky is wonderful. I can't imagine riding anything else.

But, plans are in the works for a project that could see me getting many new wheelsets for her. That could be 2-3 years out though. She would be a very happy bike.
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby BMANX » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:28 pm

What about adding Flo to Vicky. On second thought that just sounds so wrong. Forget I even mentioned it.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT

BMANX
Cat 1

Postby pritchet74 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:33 am

Already forgotten. :banana:
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby BMANX » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:35 am

I know you are a HED guy anyways and should stay away from FLO but at the end of the day they all have ENVE
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT

BMANX
Cat 1

Postby pritchet74 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:35 pm

I would actually love some Enve 3.4's. Too wide for my Hooker brakes though - same goes with Stinger wheels though. Don't know anything about the Flo wheels, but as you said, I am a Hed guy.
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

PreviousNext

Return to General cycling