Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

Any new di2 switch options?

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Any new di2 switch options?

Postby jever98 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:05 pm

Hi,

has anybody identified alternative switches to he Cateye buttons that have been popular? I find the Cateyes a bit iffy.
jever98
Cat 5

Re: Any new di2 switch options?

Postby mgiaro » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:13 am

sure!! The one I did...
making switch is so easy.
If you can wait some days, - and my little sons decide to sleep as angels - I'm going to make a new couple of switches and making photo set.
But...you can take your mouse button.. and with dura ace they work fine!!
:-)

Marcone
mgiaro
Cat 4

Postby pritchet74 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:06 pm

Oh, I need pics of that!!!!!

And how do you find them iffy? They work well. I have to say though that I wish I could put a lever together like the Campy electric ones. The feel of those has to be awesome.
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby jever98 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:04 pm

Hi Pritchett,

I have them on my TT handlebar. The soldering on one of them has come loose twice, and the rubber caps have a tendency to come off on mine (has a little to do with the installation). Basically I would be more comfortable with ones that are fully sealed.

Mgiaro - you don't have any problems with water proofing? Pictures would be highly appreciated!

Btw, using Sugru to mount them rocks! Put them on the SRAM TT brake levers - works like a charm.
jever98
Cat 5

Postby mgiaro » Wed May 02, 2012 7:43 pm

these are the ones made for an handbike, but they can be fixed on each bike.
For handbike, hey are on the same handle so thumb and finger (like f15 cockpit!!) you can shift!!
made with this button

then covered with this rubber cover cutted at the right size:

then soldered on this support:

and fixed on a support.
Sugru made all waterproof.
Attachments
di2Butt1.jpg
di2Butt2.jpg
mgiaro
Cat 4

Postby jever98 » Mon May 07, 2012 10:01 am

Nice job,

I did a similar thing with the Cateye buttons and Sugru on Sram TT brakes:

Sorry for the terrible pic, don't have a better one at hand.
jever98
Cat 5

Postby jever98 » Mon May 07, 2012 10:08 am

Another thing: found some interesting switches: http://www.folientastaturen.woehrgmbh.d ... aster.html

From Germany. I'm thinking of making an order, if anybody is interested, let me know, I could make it a group order (prices get lower). Each one costs about 5-7 Euros shipped, depending on quantity. They are 20mm and should be mounted on a flat surface. Am planning to get the black buttons with the two soldering pins.
jever98
Cat 5

Postby mgiaro » Mon May 07, 2012 1:21 pm

jever98 wrote:Another thing: found some interesting switches: http://www.folientastaturen.woehrgmbh.d ... aster.html

From Germany. I'm thinking of making an order, if anybody is interested, let me know, I could make it a group order (prices get lower). Each one costs about 5-7 Euros shipped, depending on quantity. They are 20mm and should be mounted on a flat surface. Am planning to get the black buttons with the two soldering pins.

Nice idea but too big. 20x20 mm in a flat surface is a big condering the cable, flat.
nice but too useless in my opinion. C&k switches for automotive are better i guess, but have no time now to try.. :-(
mgiaro
Cat 4

Postby jever98 » Tue May 08, 2012 10:18 am

Hi Mgiaro,

what I don't like so much about the type of switch you are using is that they build very tall- that's what I find attractive about the foil switches - they are flat.

I will measure again, but I think on my brake lever body I can make a good 20x20mm flat surface. Will see.
jever98
Cat 5

Postby mgiaro » Tue May 08, 2012 10:24 am

yes, they are 12/13 mm tall, but i think you need 20x40 mm but, more than this, il the cable that is not good in my opinion. Better "hack" cateye channgin the wire (instead of coaxial a double wire) and you get flat button.

But it's just an opinion, maybe you are right!
mgiaro
Cat 4

Postby Ypsylon » Thu May 10, 2012 8:14 pm

They say they can easily make different sizes, if that helps.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Return to General cycling