Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

Clavicula clamping screw size

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Clavicula clamping screw size

Postby ironman1 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:20 pm

Just put ceramics in cups and upon torquing down the clamping screw that holds the left crankarm on noticed the allen head is starting to round out a little. anyone know what size bolt it is and would it be possible or feasable to use torx bolt in the future ?
ironman1
Cat 5

Re: Clavicula clamping screw size

Postby Cyco » Tue May 01, 2012 1:20 pm

Is this the one in the end of the arm that pre-loads the bearings, or one of the pinch bolts?

The 1st should never have enough torque on it rounding is a worry
If it fails just after the finish line it is over built. It should fail right on it to be the perfect weight
Cyco
Cat 3

Postby ironman1 » Tue May 01, 2012 2:02 pm

pinch bolt, not pre-load.
ironman1
Cat 5

Postby Boonen » Tue May 01, 2012 11:04 pm

I can't check for you right now but I'm positive it's M5, replacing it with a torx screw shouldn't be a problem as long as it's the same size and type.
Boonen
Faster than Superman

Postby ironman1 » Fri May 04, 2012 1:41 pm

I thought it was an M6 but will appreciate you checking size and lenght.
ironman1
Cat 5

Postby pawnii » Mon May 07, 2012 3:22 pm

I had the same problem.

Best thing to do is to contact THM themselves and ask them to send a couple out to you. It was free for me. They even sent me crank arm stickers to replace my scratched ones when i told them i'm planning to repaint the cranks.
They're fantastic with after sales service. My cranks wasn't bought new and they didn't care.

You'll find it hard to match the bolts from any other place. You'll notice the head of the bolts are round. It's pretty hard to find round ones. I tried to get some from ebay and the head was tight inside the recess part of the hole. I could never be sure the torque setting was clamping pressure or it was getting stuck in the bolt head recess in the arm. Also, standard bolts have a taller head so they stick out of the arm a bit more.
pawnii
Cat 5

Return to General cycling