Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

My Santa Cruz Tallboy

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

My Santa Cruz Tallboy

Postby ProTech » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:13 pm

After successfully transitioning to 29'ers a few years ago, I felt it was a good time now, with the recent technology advancements, to finally build a dual suspension bike with the idea to stay close as possible the efficiency, functionality and weight of a nice hardtail bike.

My added incentive for building this bike is a lower back injury that has been plaguing me for few years, I'm hoping to be able to go off road more now than a hardtail frame did allow me.

This is not a fully finished build, still waiting on Tune DC 15 front thru axle and rear DC17 QR.
Have yet to put the Titanium bolts I have on the stem and fully cut the steerer to length.

Might be a tire change to Geax Barro Race, because the Bontrager 29-3 Team are a P.I.T.A. to mount tubeless on Crest rims.
Took me a week of stretching them with a tube on rims to be able to seat and inflate the bead tubeless.

Still unsure about the relevant use of a remote lock-out for the fork, I'm also giving consideration on building an even more exotic wheel set.

Current weight : 21.09 Lbs complete as you see it ! :D

Build list:
Frame: Tallboy C XL
Fork:Fox F32 29 100mm QR15
Headset: Cane Creek 40 ZS tall top upper, 1.5 external lower
Handlebar: Race Face Next SL 3/4 riser
Stem: Ritchey C260 90mm , logos partly removed
Seat post : New Ultimate Evo
Seat: Selle Italia SLR Kit Carbonio Flow
Seat Collar :New Ultimate
Brakes: Formula R1 "Super Batman" all black edition.
Rotors: Ashima Air rotor, F 160mm, R 140mm
Cranks: Race Face Next SL 175mm 3 X 10
Pedals: Crank Brothers Candy 4Ti
Shifters: Sram XO 3 X 10, tuned
Front Derailleur: Sram XO 3 X 10, tuned
Rear Derailleur: Sram XX, tuned
Cassette: Sram XX 11-32
Chain: KMC X10 SL
Gear Cables: Alligator Mini I-Links with Powercordz front derailleur cable.

Wheels:
Hubs: American Classic Disk 225 rear ,15mm thru axle front.
Rims: Stan Crest
Spokes :Marwi titanium
Tires :Bontrager 29-3 X 2.0 Team Edition , converted tubeless ( very difficult conversion )
QR:stock Fox front 15mm ,Token carbon titanium rear

So far I am extremely pleased with the bike, it fully surpassed my expectations during my light shakedown ride.
Cant give a thorough ride feedback since my riding has been limited in the past few days to light trails; my bad back is acting up...

I can honestly say so far from my limited riding that the Tallboy 's great reputation is well deserved.
ProTech
Cat 4

Re: My Santa Cruz Tallboy

Postby Ypsylon » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:11 am

I just got to ride a 29er for the first time a couple of weeks ago and from now on that will be my recommendation to people with back problems, so I think you made the right call there.

Just to make sure, the steerer tube on your fork is some sort of metal, right? If you need those spacers, you need those spacers, but you still want to be safe.

What do you have in mind for wheels?
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Return to General cycling