Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

DIY DI2

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Re: DIY DI2

Postby colorchange » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:39 pm

Nathasm,

Any update on your retry? Everything cool? Think it was the battery? Maybe you reversed polarity?
colorchange
Cat 4

Postby ToddC » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:21 am

Thanks for the kind words on my battery project. I am on pace for 500 miles plus which was my goal.
ToddC
Cat 5

Postby colorchange » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:36 pm

OK guys, words of warning:

***BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL WITH POLARITY***

If you make a mistake, you are likely to take out your front wiring harness, front derailleur and rear derailleur. Should Shimano have put in a diode to protect them, yes, but they didn't so be extremely careful. Always disconnect battery when making connections or playing with wiring. Double check parity at the power connection. (positive center wire, negative outer). The slightest mistake could be very expensive. Now Shimano has been damn good about replacing the components under warranty, but the don't have to.

I was using the LiPo and am now too nervous to use it and am switching to this battery. http://www.batteryspace.com/Customized- ... -wire.aspx

I should have it up and running near the end of March.
colorchange
Cat 4

Postby manninen » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:16 pm

I know

I burned my front cableset somehow
manninen
Cat 3

Postby pritchet74 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:28 am

I figured that this was the best place to put this.

So a couple of weeks ago my shifting started going crazy - sometimes it wouldn't shift, then it would, and sometimes it would shift the wrong way, sometimes more than one shift - well, you get the picture. I figured that this was a sign that with my prototype front wiring harness would act up when the battery was low, because when this started to happen and I charged the battery, well, everything would work fine.

Then today (2 weeks after charging the battery) it started happening again. I thing "oh shit, the battery is going South - better buy a new set of cells to put together as a backup battery pack". But here's the problem - I was 15 minutes into a ride from my office back to my house and I had no choice but to continue home. Going back to the office to charge the battery wasn't an option as I had to be home within 2 hours of when I started the ride (the ride is usually 1 hour 55 minutes). So I soldiered on and after 35 minutes was able to stop at a bike shop. As a last resort I used their tools (long story, but I left mine out of my saddle bag and back at the office) to pull the seatpost off and then unplug the battery, plug it back in, then wrap the connection in electrical tape, then re-install said seatpost. And sure as shit the shifting was PERFECT. Looks like the connector that I have been using for over a year to connect the battery to the wiring harness has slowly worn out and slowly works itself apart - enought that it doesn't provide a constant power connection.

Wierd, eh?

Anyways - PROBLEM SOLVED!
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby chops » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:58 pm

Hi guys. I need to extend the battery cable. Can someone point me in the right direction of a suitable cable to use?
chops
Cat 5

Postby pritchet74 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:14 pm

Are you running internally? If so then just get some wires 18-20 gauge. The stock wires are probably thinner than that anyways.
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby chops » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:17 pm

Yes internal.

Please forgive my stupidity, does it matter what type of wire? To spell out exactly how clueless I am, top result on amazon uk for 20 guage wire was Impex Beading wire 20 Guage gold which I'm pretty sure wouldn't be suitable but I honestly haven't a clue what is and what isn't.
chops
Cat 5

Previous

Return to General cycling