Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

Sram RD tuning

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Re: Sram RD tuning

Postby larry_ck » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:25 pm

Josh, Nice weight saving. I know you used the XX-Light-Bikes bolts are they Aluminium? If so a quick save (small gain) I can see which I have done and work as long as you're not constantly fiddling with mech is to use nylon screws for all the stop screws .. back one shown on my mech hopefully! (first time posting a pic)
Attachments
Nylon Stop.jpg
larry_ck
Cat 4

Postby jhpbk » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:15 am

dunlinii wrote:I think it looks better 'butchered'. What sort of tools do you need to have a go at the metal work?

I have to admit I don't know what tools I would need, I have never worked with metal before, so its abit new to me, any tips would be great!

Larry_ck,
Yes the bolts are aluminium, I might take you up on that advice, I know there will be plenty of places to get them from, but where did you get yours?

Thanks,
Josh...
jhpbk
Cyclotourist

Postby larry_ck » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:25 pm

Josh, I got mine from a certain online auction site .. I've pm'd you
larry_ck
Cat 4

Postby dunlinii » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:20 pm

Josh, this: (http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/produ ... ower-tools) sort of thing is good for home use. They only problem is that machining aluminium with these kind of tools causes them to clog up, so go easy and replace the abrasive regularly, and of course wear safety glasses!

If you have access to compressed air then there are a lot of tools that are good for detail metal removal you can run of the supply.
Being a Pirate should be considered a Manly job because pirates get two types of booty.
dunlinii
Cat 1

Postby Soloist Assassin » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:22 am

Bringing this back from the dead. I have an old Force RD, I am experimenting with. I am having a hard time finding anyone that sells 4mm rod aluminum or titanium to make the pins. Anyone out there care to share a source on that? I'm going to do a 2g Fibre-Lyte backplate, and these pulleys:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/carbon-pulleys- ... 2c60ebb7ab

I also modded the body thoroughly, as well as the front plate, and just ordered a bunch of aluminum fasteners, and a Ti spring from Jersey Cycles. I am hoping to get as close to 100g as possible so I can get my S2 down under 6000g, and maybe even under 13lbs(5892g). BMANX set a high bar, but I am coming for you! :D
Soloist Assassin
Cat 2

Postby BMANX » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:27 am

You do not have to try hard now my friend as I am going aero with the SLC and my number is gaining. You can have the title for lightest but I will take the most aero and light SLC.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT

Cervelo SLC 5890g/12.98lbs
BMANX
Cat 1

Postby Soloist Assassin » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:58 pm

BMANX wrote:You do not have to try hard now my friend as I am going aero with the SLC and my number is gaining. You can have the title for lightest but I will take the most aero and light SLC.

Who said I was going to put non-aero parts on my S2? I already got a set of those super aero Zipp Vuka Sprint bars, and the next big purchase will be a Scapula F, and either an Egg, Hooker SL, or Delta C rear brake. Which should drop close to 1/4lb depending on which route I go, plus be more aero. :D That's down the road though. Those damn forks cost a lot. I want to be sub 13lbs before I do that.

Anyway though, I really need some help finding some 4mm rod. Closest I can find is 5/32" aluminum welding rod, and I don't think that will work.
Soloist Assassin
Cat 2

Postby Boonen » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:38 pm

Soloist Assassin wrote:Anyway though, I really need some help finding some 4mm rod. Closest I can find is 5/32" aluminum welding rod, and I don't think that will work.

Not sure if that is going to be strong enough but size wise that's as close as you're going to get to 4 mm without going to the metric sizes. I used M4 titanium rods from probolt in the UK. Since the Red derailleurs use aluminium pivot rods I'd say you should be fine with going with aluminium or maybe carbon (hollow even?) rods instead. Wear won't be a problem as they are inserted into plastic bushings.

Curious to see how low you'll get it! I didn't squeeze the last grams out of the one I did but sub 100 might be a tad optimistic if you still want it to function right :dunno:
Boonen
Faster than Superman

Postby pritchet74 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:19 pm

BMANX wrote:You do not have to try hard now my friend as I am going aero with the SLC and my number is gaining. You can have the title for lightest but I will take the most aero and light SLC.

I am just going for the title as most aero SLC (SL).
:banana:
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby BMANX » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:40 pm

I like how everyone seems to be coming over to my side finally. I know it would take time but you have to look at the whole package as much as possible. Aero and light is right and you are either leading or following.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT

BMANX
Cat 1

Postby Ypsylon » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:43 pm

"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Postby Soloist Assassin » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:06 am

BMANX wrote:I like how everyone seems to be coming over to my side finally. I know it would take time but you have to look at the whole package as much as possible. Aero and light is right and you are either leading or following.

It only makes sense. If your going to have an aero bike might as well make it as light, and aero as possible. Without looking horrible, like the S5.

I found plenty of 5/32" tube, but that kinda scares me. It would be light though.
Soloist Assassin
Cat 2

Postby pritchet74 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:29 am

Gotta agree the S5 is ugly. A 54 cm SLC-SL sold on eBay for $1100 recently. I might pick up another and just keep it around as a backup at prices like that.

Damn, here I go again taking a topic off topic....
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby BMANX » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:40 am

you kidding me. 54cm SLC-SL goes on Ebay you better be calling me at that damn price. However you might not tell me so that I can not kick your ass. That would drop down the weight on my build by 200g? What was the weigh difference again. My 54cm SLC is I think 1170g ish

Was that with forks? I am thinking that frame with the newer Cervelo FK26 fork or whatever the light aero fork is would be killer.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT

BMANX
Cat 1

Postby pritchet74 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:44 pm

It was with a Funda. Check the completed listings. I will let you know if I see another one.

I just got a FK25 for my bike for only $200. Waiting for it to arrive from Canada.....
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

PreviousNext

Return to General cycling