Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

DIY DI2

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Re: DIY DI2

Postby BMANX » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:44 pm

Pictures my friend. Pictures
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT

Cervelo SLC 5890g/12.98lbs
BMANX
Cat 1

Postby pritchet74 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:28 pm

Quick ride this morning - the climbing buttons are amazing! Pics this weekend.
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby BMANX » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:05 pm

WEEKEND? You tease
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT

Cervelo SLC 5890g/12.98lbs
BMANX
Cat 1

Postby pritchet74 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:54 am

Pic of the climbing shifter attachment. I have to adjust the cables under the bartape a bit so the connector is fully under the bartape (it's that way on the other side), but I have a new SRM mount on order, so when it gets here I will flip the climbing buttons over (I want the buttons opposite than I have them) before I do that. I will have to cut the part where the zip-tie is attached though and then I will just use some double-stick tape.
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby manninen » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:52 pm

battery empty again and now looks like battery is broken. gonna buy new one from LocalPaintballShop

do you guys take off your battery after riding? and if you know bike´s gonna be unuse for long time, let´s say 1-4months...

i measured battery connector resistance 594Kohms, so it´ll definitely drain lipo battery useless after X perioid
manninen
Cat 3

Postby Oilman » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:42 pm

The microcontrollers in both derailleurs and the junction box will be in a deep sleep when you're not riding the bike. They will only consume a couple of nano amperes. But every lipo and li ion battery will drain itself, also when it is not used.
Oilman
Cat 3

Postby YB1 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:08 am

I am still getting used to my Shimano Di2 after 10 years on Record 10s. Even after reversing the buttons with the programmer I still hit the waffle button on the left lever somtetimes when I'm looking for a Campy-style lever equals up the cassette shift. I'm thinking if I add sprinter buttons AND disable the waffle paddle I'll basically have Campy-style on the rd, which is the only place I'm having issues.

Has anyone disabled one of the two lever blades on the Shimano shifters??
YB1
Cat 5

Postby manninen » Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:19 pm

planning to go on both brakes on 2012
manninen
Cat 3

Postby chiva » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:47 pm

Sounds like something only I would do:)
chiva
Cat 5

Postby Jeffr » Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:22 am

I had some leftover boards from the di2 project for last year's interbike linear shifting mountain bike. A few days ago I converted it to work on a road bike with a pair of shifters. Going between linear and standard mode with a button press. I had honestly not ridden the linear shifter more than 30 seconds on the showroom floor until two days ago. It was absolutely fantastic. I feel ridiculous for not having done it sooner. The linear shifting on the road feels very natural. I don't notice the front shifting at all. And holding the button down to shift multiple gears is very intuitive. It really freed my mind and my hands from extra complication. It was quite surprising.

Here's a picture of the final two boards. I'm now out of PCBs although I have some of the wireless proto boards left that I could hack into wired units with some extra programming.

shifter.jpg

Many people sent me emails about this project which I had at one time thought about commercializing. I'm sorry I did not reply. Life has gotten in the way. I will experiment with it more now that it is on my bike and report back as I have more information. Thanks to all of you who sent me encouraging words.
Jeffr
The Man in Black

Postby pritchet74 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:26 pm

I love the cork board background. Very classy. :cheers:
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby maxxevv » Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:27 pm

Jeffr wrote:I had some leftover boards from the di2 project for last year's interbike linear shifting mountain bike. A few days ago I converted it to work on a road bike with a pair of shifters. Going between linear and standard mode with a button press. I had honestly not ridden the linear shifter more than 30 seconds on the showroom floor until two days ago. It was absolutely fantastic. I feel ridiculous for not having done it sooner. The linear shifting on the road feels very natural. I don't notice the front shifting at all. And holding the button down to shift multiple gears is very intuitive. It really freed my mind and my hands from extra complication. It was quite surprising.

Here's a picture of the final two boards. I'm now out of PCBs although I have some of the wireless proto boards left that I could hack into wired units with some extra programming.

shifter.jpg

Many people sent me emails about this project which I had at one time thought about commercializing. I'm sorry I did not reply. Life has gotten in the way. I will experiment with it more now that it is on my bike and report back as I have more information. Thanks to all of you who sent me encouraging words.

Cool stuff there Jeff! :applause:

Glad to see that that little chat back then at InterBike has born fruit ! Other than those pesky connectors being an issue at reproducing, this would make for an excellent upgrade kit on any DA Di2 system! :idea: :grin:

I'm just curious why would you call it 'linear' rather than 'synchronous' shifting? Any technical reasons ?
maxxevv
Cat 1

Postby krzysiekmz » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:18 am

Hi guys,

I got a LOT of info. from this forum to succesfully put together my MTB bike. Now I have a question to ask.

I want to use a single button to operate my front derr. Would this be called ON-OFF-ON ? Anyone have an idea where to buy one? mouser.com has plenty of buttons, but which one to buy?

Or is it not possible without modyfing the controller?

Chris.
krzysiekmz
Cyclotourist

Postby Jeffr » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:59 am

You need a 'push to make' non-latching momentary switch. That's a fancy way of saying a button that creates a circuit only while physically pressed. Otherwise known as a common push-button switch, like you have on your keyboard. You'd additionally need this switch to alternate between two inputs each time it was depressed. I've never seen a mechanical switch that does that although I must confess I have not looked in detail. on-off-on toggle switches are not momentary switches. They keep the circuit open for as long as they are in the on position. This isn't what you want. It will look as if you are holding the button down to the front wiring harness.

maxxevv, I never really settled on a language for it. madcow called it sequential and I probably should stick with that. I was quoted $10k to replicate the connectors so I abandoned the idea of producing it commercially. I may look at hacking ui2 next as the new di stuff will be based on that.
Jeffr
The Man in Black

Postby manninen » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:28 pm

ok, last pic was joke

but vibe 7s handlebar isn´t!! its freaking most ergonomic bar ever

ps: soundproof is foam, not cork. thinking to change to curtain, little more efficient

hey guys! how about linear motor di2, downtube shifter "friction" mode
manninen
Cat 3

PreviousNext

Return to General cycling