Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

Assos Winter Glove System Pack Review

Assos Winter Glove System Pack Review

Postby Mike K. » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:46 pm

Okay, I'm going to take a crack at reviewing the Assos Winter Glove System Pack:

OBJECTIVE Evaluate whether or not the Glove System delivers what Assos promises in it's advertising: a technically advanced system with components that function together to allow for 'healthy cycling' in temperatures between 21 degrees F and 43 degrees F.

FIT First off, the gloves are size large. Decision to order this size was based on two factors: the Assos size chart, and a direct hand to hand comparison with a friend who has the Glove System in this size. So the following commentary is not greatly influenced by the variable of improper size.

COMFORT-PROBLEMS/SOLUTIONS There are 3 gloves in the Winter Glove System Pack: 1) Inner Glove (liner)- has exposed seams and fits comfortably and snugly. 2) Early Winter 851- has internal seams. Once slipped over the liner the fit becomes tighter, thereby pressing the inner seams of Glove 2 against the fingers. Not terribly uncomfortable, but very noticeable. 3) Lobster Shell ( aka-mitten)-851 fabric/supple leather on palm. The leather is paper thin and after several rides began to wrinkle and separate from it's lining. Getting this glove on on was very challenging because of the extreme tigthness of the elastic on the wrist, and the non gripping palm. The bar was raised further once the first Lobster was on as dexterity is further reduced. Placing a pull tab on the mittens, like the one provided on the Early Winter 851 Glove (it's large and imbosed for grip) would be a big step toward resolving this problem.

HEALTHY CYCLING I'll define healthy in this case as avoiding frostbite. :) Road Rides: During several 30 to 45 minute rides in temps below 21 degrees F my fingers became numb and I was struggling to operate the shift system-not healthy. During a couple of 2 1/2 hr rides in temps in the mid 20's (F) I experienced a freeze thaw cycle throughout the ride-somewhat unhealthy-but tolerable.

PROS/BLING FACTOR Top notch dexterity! No restrictions during shifting or braking while on the hoods or in the drops. Glove System offers versatility. Glove 2 can be used independently in warmer conditions. During a 3 hr ride (temps-40's F) Glove 2 provided just the right warmth. I credit the 851 fabric. So the Assos claim of technically advanced holds true here. Palms are also well padded and embossed for grip. The Lobster Shell can be used over other glove sets. They can also be used in the kitchen as an oven mitt. (Just kidding about kitchen usage.) The latest Assos 851 fabric is good looking stuff-shinny silver dots lie below the black outer fabric.

CONS Sizing is not universal, and needs to be tinkered with for proper fit. One solution would be to order the gloves separately and go one size up on Glove 2 for compatibility with the Assos liner. No provisions on Glove 2 or 3 for wiping off "schmutz." Mitten needs a pull strap to aid putting it on; flimsy leather on palm. Not exceedingly warm. A big factor to consider regarding warmth is body type. I'm very slim and do not have much body fat. So I generate very little heat. My friend who has the same glove set is larger and his hands sweat while wearing them at 20 degree F. Hope the information provided is useful.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Mike K.
Cat 1

Re: The official : "what have you bought today" topic

Postby kytyree » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:44 pm

I like the middle glove of the Assos system, but prefer any of several other models of glove for a liner. Since that liner isn't durable enough to stand alone one that can seems more functional to me. And as noted the lobster doesn't add enough warmth for me, they work but there are gloves made for snow sports etc that are far warmer alone than the entire Assos system, you can pay as much as you want for gloves like that but REI's brand gloves are pretty warm, I doubt I could shift in them or at least not well but I have a pair of their mittens that are too warm to walk in unless it is below zero outside.

As far as what I've bought, I picked up some De Marchi Contour EVO bibs/jersey's to clothe myself for the warmer day that are bound to be here soon!
kytyree
King of Cobbles 09

Re: Assos Winter Glove System Pack Review

Postby Boonen » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:51 pm

Thanks for the review Mike, as you can see I moved it into the review section for you :wink:
Boonen
Faster than Superman

Postby dunlinii » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:06 pm

Great review, but I think new gloves might have to wait till next winter now, seems to finally be ending.
Being a Pirate should be considered a Manly job because pirates get two types of booty.
dunlinii
Cat 1

Postby kytyree » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:35 pm

I wish it was ending here but there is some yet to had I'm afraid.
kytyree
King of Cobbles 09

Postby mdeth1313 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:25 pm

I've found with different liners and glove 2 you can extend the temp range of the system.

I need to find/post a pic of my cheapo extreme cold temp glove system- it ended up costing about $45 for a liner, insulator (thermafleece flex) and windstopper shell- no lobster- used in single digit temps (w/ hand warmers in the liner), that's Farenheit.
Words are like bullets, I let them pass through me.
mdeth1313
Cat 1

Postby j0m » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:30 pm

I also have the system. The middle glove is great. The liner is great together with other gloves and the lobster shell is useless. Haven't tried them in the kitchen though. :-)
j0m
The Big Brain

Postby mdeth1313 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:59 pm

Ok, here's my cheapo system--

liner is made w/ 24k gold thread (supposedly), at least it's supposed to conduct heat- there are small pouches on the back of the hands for those disposable charcoal heat packs. $10 (clearance) from campmor.

middle is the key for warmth- thinsulate flex gloves- they're thick, but warm- also not wind nor waterproof- $5 at target

cabelas fishing guide glove- $15 on sale at cabelas- a thin, windproof shell w/ some lining, purchased in 2xl to accomodate the thickness of the flex gloves.

result- warm, very warm and no lobster gloves- still more clumsy than your "normal" glove setup, but more dexterity than a lobster glove setup. no bling factor, except the "gold" liners.
Attachments
winter gloves resize.jpg
Words are like bullets, I let them pass through me.
mdeth1313
Cat 1

Return to Reviews