Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

KCNC Road Pro (SC9) 30.7

KCNC Road Pro (SC9) 30.7

Postby Rasmus » Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:11 am

How to review a seat collar..

KCNC has for a while now been well known to provide affordable, light weight and capable bike components. The Road Pro (SC9) collar is no different. The collar is of a barrel nut, non-offset single gap, and solid one piece design.

Because it’s a barrel nut collar the clamping bolt threads into a replaceable barrel nut instead of directly into the collar itself. The main advantage to this is of course that in the event of the bolt being over tightened resulting in stripped threads, the collar itself will not be rendered useless. Simply replacing the barrel nut will be enough. Whether or not replacement barrel nuts are readily available is yet to be seen.

The non-offset gap design has been accused of making bikes prone to seat post slippage. That said, due to old crash damage the bike on which the collar has been tested is well known to being sensitive to slippery posts, and so far the carbon post has not slipped a single mm in the aluminum frame. In short, the collar works.

The finish and intricate machining of the collar is exquisite. The edges have all been rounded off nicely, and the overall appearance of the collar is lightweight and detailed yet still beefy and solid. With the collar being anodized flat black bearing white laser engravings the end result is one good looking piece of kit.

There is a bit of tuning potential but due to the detailed machining the risk of compromising the integrity of the collar is high. Yes, it would be possible to remove a few grams by converting it to a two ring design like the M2 and Omni Race collars but as the collar already comes in at a claimed weight of 12gr (14.2gr tested) there is little to be gained. Furthermore, the main advantage of the collar's one piece solid design is that the clamping force is spread across a bigger surface area making it suitable for carbon frames or alloy frames with delicate paint jobs.

Pro:
Finish.
Downright cheap.
Scandium and titanium hardware.
Comes in odd sizes (30.7mm especially).

Con:
Heavier than claimed (albeit just 2gr).
Only comes with gold anodized barrel nut (and sand paper is not included if silver is preferred).

Verdict: Not the absolute lightest but a low price tag makes it a nobrainer.
Attachments
IMG_3497-Edit-Edit.jpg
14.2 gr weighed
IMG_3512-Edit.jpg
in use
"Ride faster, I hear banjo music!"
Rasmus
sensei of polish

Postby Rasmus » Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:48 am

After 60 odd miles on road work infested roads in NC, and a 50 mile ride on the Blue Ridge Parkway I can safely say that even though it's a non-offset collar it clamps down the seatpost well. No slipping! +1!
"Ride faster, I hear banjo music!"
Rasmus
sensei of polish

Re: KCNC Road Pro (SC9) 30.7

Postby edwardmaya » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:04 am

Anybody using the KCNC seatpost clamps?
They are particular for Street Use and I was just considering if they structured up well for MTB programs, issues with losing etc.
WW seem to use a lot of road locations so I regarded this would be the best position to ask.
for a 31.6 seattube.
Thank you!
edwardmaya
Cyclotourist

Return to Reviews