Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

White H1/ENO 28 hole wheel build

White H1/ENO 28 hole wheel build

Postby 520 Dan » Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:39 am

For pics of the build, See here:

http://fairwheelbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=413

Weight-153 lbs
Height- 6', 1.81 m
Riding time-4 months

The first thing I want to bring to everyones attention is that White ,makes a 130mm ENO hub, so for anyone who wants to build a SS road/CX bike it is pretty easy to do.

I actually got the ENO first because the H1 was back ordered. I laced it to a Niobium 30mm rim. The rims are pretty stiff, and I had some difficulty building the rear. However, the hub was excellently finished and looked amazing and the bearings were remarkably smooth. Over all I liked the wheel build very much. The Hub came in at I want to say 322 gms? But I may be transposing the numbers here. White used to have the numbers online, but I can't seem to find them there. As a consolation I know that it came in 4 gms under claimed :twisted:

The front hub came in a few weeks later. It weighed 72 gms. Same great finish, but there was a catch on the bearings, probably due to a seal. This build was much easier.

I have ridden the wheels about 500 miles since I built them (I have a lot of bikes that must be ridden!) So far I am very happy with the wheels. I checked the front not long ago and that "catch" seems to be gone, so it is smooth rolling. My only complaint is that you really need to rock on the rear ENO bolts to make sure you don't lose chain tension. The tendency is for the wheel to rotate on the eccentric axle. Other than that I give the hubs an A- for the simple fact that they could be lighter.
520 Dan
VIP

Postby 520 Dan » Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:00 pm

Just one update for anyone considering an ENO. My frame had a lot of overspray of paint onto the drop out. As per the advice of once Fairwheel Employee Bruce, I sanded off the paint w a dremel, and the eccentric rotation has since stopped.
520 Dan
VIP

Re: White H1/ENO 28 hole wheel build

Postby multigrooves » Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:36 pm

I use the ENO on my Vamoots conversion and I think they are great. You never have to worry about having your rear wheel parallel in the frame. The low profle, mirror finsh is classy, too.
multigrooves
Cat 4

Return to Reviews