Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

drilling a litespeed for EPS

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

drilling a litespeed for EPS

Postby EchiDna » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:42 am

Hi guys, I've got an old "classic" litespeed palmares 2001 that I'm planning to upgrade the groupset on to record EPS (factory original 2001 campy record is tired!)

The problem I'm having is that it is (of course) not electronic ready and as such I would need to drill the frame in order to run the wires internally. The big question is where is the most appropriate place to drill the frame at the headtube end!

Thankfully there are conveniently pre-drilled holes around the BB area for a drain and cable guide mount and a nice flat plate welded on the end of the chain stay where I can drill a neat hole for the wire to exit for the rear derailleur, so this part is easy...

any advice appreciated in advance of your replies...
EchiDna
Cyclotourist

Re: drilling a litespeed for EPS

Postby pritchet74 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:57 pm

Structurally I can't imagine that there is anything to worry about, but I would just call Litespeed and ask them.
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby über-goober » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:35 am

I have a project like this too. For me the scary part is grinding off the down tube cable stops.

For holes and where they go check out these.
the problem? could be the nut behind the handlebars.
über-goober
Cat 2

Postby Ypsylon » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:43 am

Not that it helps you guys, but looking at removing the down tube cable stops from my Parlee Z5 I paniced and ordered a Dura Ace 9000 group from Jason. Hope it's here when the snow melts.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Postby jerbe » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:36 pm

Planning to use also Athena eps on my Parlee TT. But before drilling it has anyone tried splicing the wiress and insert them thru the cable holes and reconnecting again?Are the wires just a positive and a negative?
jerbe
Cyclotourist

Return to General cycling