Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

Tuning an old saddle

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Tuning an old saddle

Postby Ringtail » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:58 pm

Madcow recommended an all carbon saddle recently when we were discussing lightening up my mountain bike. I decided to try out the feel of an all carbon saddle first by modding one of my old mountain bike saddles to see how I liked it.

The saddle I chose was an old Fizik Aliante with ti rails:

As you can see, the cover was pretty worn and it weighed in at 250 grams.

I proceeded to peel off the leather cover and manually remove the foam padding by hand. This took a while as it was securely glued to the carbon shell. I then broke out the dremel with a soft wire brush to clean the remaining foam off the shell.

The back edges of the saddle were raised about 4 mm to provide a channel for the foam to rest in. I swapped in the sanding drum onto the dremmel and trimmed the edge flat.

Here is a picture post-mod:

As you can see I was able to shave almost 100 grams, but is it rideable?

The proof is in the pudding. I clamped it in place and hit one of our more rocky trails here in Tucson: Starr Pass. I did take along my usual mountain biking saddle (265 g Selle Italia Team) just in case the all carbon saddle was unbearable and I'd need to swap it out.

Amazingly enough, the new no-padding saddle is MORE comfortable than my usual saddle. I can feel the shell flex under me when I'm riding. Granted, we do ride with a very high quality chamoise in our team shorts, so padding on a saddle is just redundant. After back to back days riding 12 mile loops on local trails I can now report very little soreness in my arse. Less so than normal. I do ride a hard tail as well.

Drawbacks: It ain't pretty, but I figure it's on a mountain bike so I don't mind my saddle looking a bit beat-up. A little clear coat would clean it up nicely I think. The other issue I discovered is that the rear edges of the saddle are a bit sharp when behind the saddle in technical sections. I may blunt them with some foam or rubber if I decide to keep using it.
Ringtail
Cyclotourist

Re: Tuning an old saddle

Postby JLFast » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:48 am

I like your thinking here... Youve saved a ton of $$$ by modding it yourself! Very cool, and encouraging. I just might have to get my dremel out now!
JLFast
Cyclotourist

Return to General cycling