Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

Swapping cage on front deraileur?

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Swapping cage on front deraileur?

Postby ms6073 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:54 pm

We have Dura Ace 7900 drive trains/shifters and use Gore Rideon Pro cables and while I have tried the Speen Umlenker, regardless of whether I run the cable down to the pully and back up or down to the umlenker, due to an old injury, the wife has issues generating enough force with her hand to shift into the big chainring. Got a Shimano CX-70 top pull front deraileur but found that due to the width of the cage, it is probably not going to work with Dura Ace shifters as Shimano specs it for Ultegra 6700 shifters. There was a time when the pivot pins on the deraileurs either had c-clips on one end or were simply press fit to allow disassembly and regreasing but the pins on current front deraileurs are either riveted or peened, and I was curious if anyone had drilled out the pivot pins to swap cages between front deraileurs and if so, where do you get replacement pins?
ms6073
Cyclotourist

Return to General cycling