Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

Disable Switch "X" on Right DA Di2 Shifter...How?

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Disable Switch "X" on Right DA Di2 Shifter...How?

Postby YB1 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:11 am

I'm interested in having just one functional lever on the right side. If I pull the button out of the spring on the switch unit that should do the trick I think. The little button that sits inside the spring that needs grease in the Shimano manual...that's the one I'm thinking would disable the lever without messing with the wiring. The lever would still move it just couldn't actuate the switch.

I tried to do this hack but the stupid Torx 5 screw stripped (or the driver bit did) as soon as I tried to back it out. Even though the Shimano manual gives instructions for working on the switch assembly the way it's put together it doesn't seem like they really want people taking it apart.

Any suggestions welcome.
YB1
Cat 5

Re: Disable Switch "X" on Right DA Di2 Shifter...How?

Postby chiva » Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:45 pm

On the converse is there any way to make the big paddle shift both directions (IOW disable the small paddle)?
chiva
Cat 5

Postby Jeffr » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:40 am

To have the big paddle shift in both directions you would have to replace the microcontroller in the front wiring harness. Otherwise you'd have to work out some kind of mechanical toggle that switched the button from being connected to the opposite of the two wires each time it was pressed. You could probably do it with a custom switch but it'd be much harder to get something to fit with the original shimano lever.
Jeffr
The Man in Black

Postby chiva » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:08 am

Thanks Jeffr. I wish Shimano would have just had one button on for the FD. It doesn't make sense to have 2 on an electric system.
chiva
Cat 5

Postby pritchet74 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:16 am

Makes sense for when you don't want to check what ring you are in. I hated the single lever feature of SRAM Red.
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Return to General cycling