Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

Need help fixing carbon crack

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Need help fixing carbon crack

Postby Gumgardner » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:00 am

Hi. I need help from someone who works with carbon. I have an AX Lightness brake spring that cracked at the 'T' junction. The spring isn't cracked. It's closer to the part that connects to the brake. I don't know much about how it works but it seems to me like this could be patched with a strip of carbon. Does anyone have the ability to do this and would be willing to try?
It's a very small crack. It sort of looks like a tear in the carbon. It's still one piece. It hasn't cracked the whole way thru. It's right at the tip of my thumb in the picture.
http://img196.imageshack.us/i/imageylt.jpg/
Thank you.
Gumgardner
Cat 2

Re: Need help fixing carbon crack

Postby slisk » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:09 am

Seems like for what they charge for 'em this should be covered by AX.
I buy everything that JMT lists on this site.
slisk
Grand Tourer

Postby ... » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:09 am

Hi!
If AX lightness won't cover it, then I could help you. It wouldn't be a problem to fix it, it would be possible to make even a new one..
H a n d m a d e I n S l o v e n i a
Cat 1

Postby Gumgardner » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:38 am

Thank you for the offer. I just emailed AX again to see if they will fix it for me. If not, I would really appreciate it if you could patch it for me. I've been admiring your custom jobs for sometime.
Thanks

I attached a picture of the carbon spring relative to the 'stock' metal spring. You can see that the vertical component of the carbon spring is shorter than the metal one. As a rest, it doesn't fit inside of the brake as well. When I emailed AX they said they only make one size and they have to sand away part of the brake to get the carbon one to fit. It doesn't make sense to me why they just don't make the carbon spring longer.

http://img822.imageshack.us/i/photo3ojf.jpg/
Gumgardner
Cat 2

Return to General cycling