Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

Campagnolo Delta Gen 4 Help

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Campagnolo Delta Gen 4 Help

Postby gogo419 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:34 am

Hi,

I have an oppurtunity to buy campagnolo delta gen 4 brakes brand new! I was wanting to get some advice on if these brakes are reliable? I had read many times that the first few generations the cables would slip when braking causing your brakes to become useless? I am not heavy (6okgs, 132pounds) but do a fair bit of racing so stoppping power is necessary and reliability well i need that no matter what! So if anyone can let me know if they are a good generation to buy it would be greatly appreciated?

Cheers Julian
gogo419
Cat 4

Re: Campagnolo Delta Gen 4 Help

Postby pritchet74 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:11 am

If they are the latest version then I wouldn't hesitate to use them at all. In the early 90's many of the top teams used these brakes in the Tour de France (including LeMond and Indurain), so I wouldn't be concerned with stopping power. Gorgeous brakes too - I would jump at the chance for a set of those brakes. Besides, you are a featherweight!
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby skimons » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:11 pm

check whether they will work with other than the standard rubbers (i.e. if you want to ride carbon rims).
i agree with pritchet that the latest versions are ok, i used them myself (4-pivot), but i would not use them in the mountains. 5-pivot is probably a better choice

most beautiful brake ever! function does not follow form, unfortunately :)
skimons
Cat 4

Postby pritchet74 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:34 pm

Function can follow form though, but it took Campy several tries to get it right. I have said the same about my Hooker brakes, which are just a much smaller version of the Deltas. My 2 brakes are different versions and the front is a "last version" which stops almost as good as a Record brake. Definitely better than AX or ZG brakes.
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Return to General cycling