Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

SRAM Red/Force Front Derailleur

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

SRAM Red/Force Front Derailleur

Postby rhane » Tue May 10, 2011 5:06 pm

How does one change out the cages on a SRAM Red/Force FD to mate a Force steel cage with a Red "everything else"? I notice there are two pins that appear to be holding the cage onto the rest of the FD - but is removing the pins possible without completely ruining the FD? That is to say, if I want to make a "pro" version of the SRAM Red FD - can I do this at home or is it not possible (i.e. does this need to be something done in the factory where the pins can be properly inserted and sealed in order for the FD to properly work?)?

Thanks for the help.
rhane
Cat 5

Re: SRAM Red/Force Front Derailleur

Postby larry_ck » Tue May 10, 2011 10:16 pm

It is possible to drill the pins out of the cage but you need new pins to re-assemble the cage afterwards as they can not be re-used. I have done this so I could drop some weight by installing a Ti spring and Al pins. Pic attached in which you can just see the Al pin I made and the circlip fixing I used to stop it coming apart. In my opinion you would be better off just using the Force front derailleur if it is only the cage you are looking to change out because to my eye when comparing the two derailleurs side by side there appears to be very little difference between the derailleurs apart from the material of the cage and screws.
Attachments
Red Front.jpg
larry_ck
Cat 4

Return to General cycling