Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

Travel Bike with Di2

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Travel Bike with Di2

Postby CTracer » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:02 pm

Hi guys,
I am putting together a travel bike (titanium frame with S&S couplers) and I want to use the Di2 kit that I have on my existing frame. If I had a wire "splitter" towards the bottom of the downtube that would be perfect and would allow me to split the frame without disconnecting the front and RD wires, etc. Any suggestions on how I could add a waterproof male/female connector at this spot and where I could source the connectors?

Thanks in advance for any help!

CTracer
CTracer
Cyclotourist

Re: Travel Bike with Di2

Postby ras11 » Tue May 03, 2011 2:35 pm

Why not unplug the wires from the derailleurs? You might have to cut a zip tie or two, but that's not such a big deal.

I had the same problem when I used to travel with a wired powertap on my Ritchey BAB bike. I had a bag of zip ties that I left in my case (with a finger nail clipper to trim the ends) and replaced them each time I went on the road. Eventually, I solved this by going to a wireless Quarq. But AFAIK, there is no way to make your derailleurs wireless without some serious effort. My concern with putting in a coupler, for me at least, was that I did not know what the resistance issues there might be in mucking about with the cables. There are a few guys on this forum who have soldered their issues away, but a plug and solder can be a different beast. I'm sure it's feasible with the correct plug/connector. Good luck.
ras11
Cat 3

Postby CTracer » Tue May 03, 2011 6:23 pm

I did not want to go wireless. I just want to find a male/female connector to split the wire under the down tube. I can do the normal set-up but I would have to unplug the FD and RD, unscrew the wire harness under the BB and cut a bunch of zip ties. I may do if I don't find another option (or just go mechanical again and use cable-splitters) but if I cut the wire under the down tube near the BB and solder in a connector that's all I would have to unplug. The risk is the cost of a new wiring harness. I found these connectors but I'm not sure if they will work:

http://store.letsled.com/Connector-LED- ... d-cw02.htm

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 2752wt_920
CTracer
Cyclotourist

Postby Ypsylon » Tue May 03, 2011 6:34 pm

With all the soldering and mods I've seen here I'd say it's possible, but I'd try and keep the connectors out of the area that sees the most water and dirt. Maybe put them on top of the downtube under the bottlecage somehow.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Postby Ypsylon » Fri May 06, 2011 8:36 pm

Not sure if you can it in the US, assuming that's where you are, but it shouldn't be too difficult to find I guess?

http://www.conrad.de/ce/de/product/749322/KABELSTECKER-SERIE-HR30-6-POL/SHOP_AREA_86406&promotionareaSearchDetail=005
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Return to General cycling