Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

handmade carbon bike to be built

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

handmade carbon bike to be built

Postby sramjunky » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:56 am

I am very keen on building a carbon roadbike for my senior project in highschool. I undersand the basic principals of building bikes in the areas of geometries and such, but I am finding it harder and harder to find good resources on building. Does anyone know of any such literature or does anyone have a list of internet sources compiled? Thanks I'm advance.
Pain, without love. Pain, can't get enough.
sramjunky
Cyclotourist

Re: handmade carbon bike to be built

Postby Ypsylon » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:27 am

While I don't know your background, it sounds to me like you're facing a task and a half there.

Have you ever built anything from carbon before?

You can check this thread:

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=81254

Make sure to visit Julian's blog, while in German, if you look at the diagrams, you'll see what you're up to.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Re: handmade carbon bike to be built

Postby sramjunky » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:59 pm

it is a task and a half for certain. I haven't ever built anything out of carbon yet. I plan on buying some inexpesive tubing/carbon sheets and make some small parts first to learn the material. I have close to two years to do it. I also have a friend who was the composites expert for a formula1 racing team. Thanks for the link as well
Pain, without love. Pain, can't get enough.
sramjunky
Cyclotourist

Return to General cycling