Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

Berk PROTO-TYPE 3

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Re: Berk PROTO-TYPE 3

Postby ... » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:02 pm

dunlinii wrote:How is the build going? Or have you been to busy, really excited :grin:

I'm really quite busy at the moment...I train a lot, have to study etc.,...and I'm also working on some smaller projects.
I was working on two more seatpost&saddle combos. One was 140.5g (on the photos) and another one (for a bit lighter rider, the look was just the same) 131.7g. I was making them almost the whole January because I'm really quite busy :mrgreen:

No progress on the frame, but hopefully you'll like those photos:

I'm also working on an interesting project - making my own stem, but still a lot of work to do and unfortunately still any interesting photos from the progress. It's still just in progress...slowly and with pleasure I'll hopefully manage to make it someday ;)

And hopefully I'll also soon manage to make the dropouts and start with the "real thing" 8-)
H a n d m a d e I n S l o v e n i a
Cat 1

Postby dunlinii » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:33 pm

I don't know how you manage to fit it all in! Sounds very exciting, and yes, the photos made me very happy :wink:
Being a Pirate should be considered a Manly job because pirates get two types of booty.
dunlinii
Cat 1

Postby ... » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:42 pm

Finally some news about the frame!

I made another carbon saddle, this time for the frame :twisted:
I'll make an integrated saddle on the seat tube.

Just out of the mould and of course rough - still some work to do on the surface and edges,...

And yes, my aim is to make it as light as possible :mrgreen: , and of course usefully (stiff) products!

And today I also finally started with the wrok on the carbon dropouts...will keep you updated as soon as I manage to make some more progress!
Cat 1

Postby skimons » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:01 pm

keep up the good stuff coming, berk!
skimons
Cat 4

Postby ... » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:36 pm

Unfortunately the progress on the frame is quite slow, because I don't have a lot of free time, but I really enjoy this project and here are a few more photos:

All the tubes have just 687g!
I still have to make the dropouts (+40g), so still quite a lot of work to do,...I'll also have to make the grooves at the edges of the tubes, to assure a perfec fit at the joints etc.,...of course after I'll make the grooves the weight will be a bit lower. At the end all the tubes with dropouts and the rear break-bridge should weight under 700g.

And of course it's a frame with an integrated seatpost. If I would make an ordinary frame without ISP it would be even cca. 55g lighter, but I'll integrate a saddle (at this moment only 33g + cca. 30g reinforcements) and it would be just the same as using an ordinary frame with cca. 110g combo, but much more "bulletproof"..

Everything on this photo weights just 720g:

Anyway, still a lot of work to do,...but slowly and with pleasure the frame will be made... :wink:
Cat 1

Postby dunlinii » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:59 pm

I think what I'm most amazed at is how you balanced all that on your scales!
Being a Pirate should be considered a Manly job because pirates get two types of booty.
dunlinii
Cat 1

Postby ... » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:46 pm

dunlinii wrote:I think what I'm most amazed at is how you balanced all that on your scales!

:lol: :lol:
It wasn't that difficult because most tubes are oval...:mrgreen:
Cat 1

Postby skimons » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:33 am

how are the drop outs going?
skimons
Cat 4

Postby ... » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:15 pm

skimons wrote:how are the drop outs going?

Hi, unfortunately I just don't manage to find enough time for any carbon work...on Friday I'll go abroad again (I wasn't at home also this weekend...) and will start the season: http://www.trofeolaigueglia.it/img/Altimetria48.jpg

After the race I'll have one week training-camp and after that there will be another race...and I won't be at home almost till March, that's also the reason why I spend all my free time with my girlfriend :wink:.

But slowly I hope that I'll manage to make some more progress, after the start of the season we'll have a few more rest days, and I'll sure continue with the carbon work - but on the first place is cycling in itself ;). I won't hurry with this project because I really enjoy in it, but will make it precise and with pleasure, of course if I just have some more free time.
As soon as I'll manage to make some more progress I'll let you know, but till then I can only post some photos from my team, racing, equipment,...:grin:
Cat 1

Postby ... » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:21 pm

Some more carbon work, unfortunately still without any progress on the frame, but hope you like also some other - smaller projects:

134.7g, 31.6mm x 350mm, <80kg, MTB

I'm not a lot at home and of course also train a lot, study,...and I'll continue with the frame when I'll have some more time and will be able to work outdor. I just can't wait that I finish the frame, but unfortunately I just don't find enough time..anyway, as soon as I'll have any "carbon news" I'll let you know :wink:
Cat 1

Postby dunlinii » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:33 pm

Great to hear from you, and that your still making wikid stuff. Keep up with the training :grin:
dunlinii
Cat 1

Postby ... » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:33 pm

Thanks! Don't worry about my trainings, I train like mad... :grin:

But I just can't help myself :grin: and when I have some free time I'm working with carbon - or at least on some more projects on paper...anyway, as soon as I manage to make any progress I'll keep you updated!
Cat 1

Postby ... » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:16 pm

Just a few more photos, to keep the topic alive :mrgreen:

Unfortunately I still don't have much free time, but slowly I'll manage to shape the tubes...some of them are still a bit too long, but anyway. I just couldn't resist to take those photos :mrgreen:.
Of course the geometry isn't exact on those photos, I just put it approximative..

The seat-tube is in UD and most probably I'll remove the paint from the 3T fork that is also UD. And of course at the end I'll paint/lacquer it with the same design as on the frame, but still quite a lot of work to do...
Maybe I'll get even a Scott Addict SL fork, probably it would look better..? Will see..

Anyway, as soon as I manage to make any progress I'll keep you updated.. I don't have to rush with the build (I ride my sponsor equipment) but I just can't wait that I manage to do some more work on this project!
Cat 1

Postby dunlinii » Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:00 pm

I quite like the look of the 3T fork on it, an i think it would look much better if you took the paint of obviously, but the shape goes well with your tube shape, or at least it seems to.
dunlinii
Cat 1

Postby ... » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:54 pm

Beside the paint I also like the look of that fork. But if I'll get a Scott Addict fork that was used (our sponsor in the past years was Scott - this year Wilier is the first year sponsor) and I could get some used stuff for some very low prices. The 3T fork looks like new and before I remove the paint I can still try it with some other forks that are already used and have to be repainted :grin: will see, I'll sure keep you updated!
Cat 1

PreviousNext

Return to General cycling