Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

Stripping paint of aluminium/carbon SystemSix

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Stripping paint of aluminium/carbon SystemSix

Postby kamikaze » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:34 am

Hi
I've got an aluminium-carbon SystemSix that I'm looking at stripping and then applying a clear coat over the bare frame. So far, I've wet-sanded part of a chainstay and I've come to the conclusion that there has to be another way. I've been reading about soda blasting and how it can be applied to both aluminium and carbon to strip the paint. However, the question is whether different pressures or mixture combinations are used to remove the paint from carbon as compared to those used for aluminium. Is it possible to soda blast the whole frame and get the paint removed from the aluminium part as well as the carbon section without damaging the frame itself?

Thanks for any input
kamikaze
Cyclotourist

Re: Stripping paint of aluminium/carbon SystemSix

Postby Ypsylon » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:49 am

kamikaze wrote:So far, I've wet-sanded part of a chainstay and I've come to the conclusion that there has to be another way.

:lmao:

Sorry, but that's pretty funny.

This is something that's been done before and pretty much every time somebody wants to do it he or she gets nervous and starts a thread on the internet. And that's cool, I'd freak out and start at least 5 myself, probably more. It's a great place to present your finished project, too.

This is one of the more recent attempts. Check out the youtube link Nic Crumpton posted.

My plan would be to protect the carbon tubes as good as I could and get rid of the paint on the alu tubes first, then look into getting the paint of the carbon. Mind you, my plans don't work out in the end, usually.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Return to General cycling