Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

Shimagnolo Di2

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Re: Shimagnolo Di2

Postby Boonen » Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:01 pm

Looking great Pritch! Would be cool if you could figure out to bond the buttons to the levers with some carbon :top:
Boonen
Faster than Superman

Postby dunlinii » Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:55 pm

Thats so sick. Thats the only educated opinion I can provide.
Being a Pirate should be considered a Manly job because pirates get two types of booty.
dunlinii
Cat 1

Postby ferrarista » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:50 am

pritchet74 wrote:Image

Do you know what doesn't suck though? The fact that I have Di2 and I get to use my beloved Campy 10s levers.

:xBanana5:

nice progress Jeff, getting more and more integrated. I guess you could always fabricated a holder out of carbon and glue it with epoxy to the lever.

but I'm a fan of the oem+ look as they call it in the car modification world. something modified that could come from the manufacturer. I would use the stock shifting paddles and integrate the buttons to that with the widest space between the buttons as phisically possible. this way there is less chance of miss shifting. you don't need to use huge buttons.

the buttons from the switch that madcow uses would be more than good i think.

Attachments
smsc-004.jpg
ferrarista
Cat 2

Postby Mike K. » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:02 pm

Developing nicely!
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Mike K.
Cat 1

Postby pritchet74 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:25 pm

I have a set of the buttons that Madcow used on that MTB bar. They are good for a bartop application, but nut for the brake lever. They take more pressure to operate and wouldn't work well in my application.

I installed the buttons on the left brake lever. I grabbed a black plastic knife from the office kitchen, dremeled off the serated edge, and shaped it a bit. Attached the buttons and taped it into place.
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby dalai » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:33 pm

pritchet74 wrote:I installed the buttons on the left brake lever. I grabbed a black plastic knife from the office kitchen, dremeled off the serated edge, and shaped it a bit. Attached the buttons and taped it into place.

Nice use of available materials... :wink:
dalai
Cat 1

Postby ferrarista » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:05 am

pritchet74 wrote:I have a set of the buttons that Madcow used on that MTB bar. They are good for a bartop application, but nut for the brake lever. They take more pressure to operate and wouldn't work well in my application.

ah ok I didn't know about that. thought they had normal pressure. good luck with your progress :applause: its getting better and better.
ferrarista
Cat 2

Postby BikeTech » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:57 pm

pritchet74 wrote:I have a set of the buttons that Madcow used on that MTB bar. They are good for a bartop application, but nut for the brake lever. They take more pressure to operate and wouldn't work well in my application.

I installed the buttons on the left brake lever. I grabbed a black plastic knife from the office kitchen, dremeled off the serated edge, and shaped it a bit. Attached the buttons and taped it into place.

Your latest shifter button photos indicate there are two wires going to each shifter? I'm thinking about plagiarizing your Campy brake lever idea but using some of my Mavic Zap buttons.
BikeTech
Cat 5

Postby pritchet74 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:08 pm

You can use any buttons. The Cateye ones have a wire going to each button. Each wire has 2 actual wires in it (positive and negative) but both wires go into a little junction box with 3 terminals (2 positive and a common negative). The Di2 harness is setup the same way with a common negative. The double button setups are all 3 wire setups too.
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby clintpaints » Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:02 am

bettiniphoto_0061201_1_full_resize_680x453t0_ic.jpg
well you knew it had to happen... this is probably the easiest way to get the campy feel with electronic shifting.
clintpaints
Cyclotourist

Postby pritchet74 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:54 am

Ya, but I like the shape of the 10s levers, not the 11s levers. :wink:

If it proves to be good though, I wouldn't rule it out as a future build option.
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby ferrarista » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:55 pm

finally campy showing the gruppo. one thing though it looks much nicer than shimano as always :lol:

I also prefer the shape of 10s shifters , but the 11s are pretty comfy. knowing campy, all the spare parts will be available :grin: so you could easily use the stock paddles of the 11s and integrate them to the 10s lol.

It was confirmed that in 2011 , the new moviestar team will ride with electronic campy. does this mean that campy will release the electronic gruppo in 2011. who knows...

aparently they will reduce the size of the battery since they say its double the capacity of the shimano.

http://fairwheelbikes.com/cycling-blog/products/campagnolo-electronic.html
Last edited by ferrarista on Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
ferrarista
Cat 2

Postby dunlinii » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:37 pm

Its crazy how long that its taken them to develop it, but I'm really looking forward to seeing what they have done with it, and what Pritch will do with it.
Being a Pirate should be considered a Manly job because pirates get two types of booty.
dunlinii
Cat 1

Postby rlpaul » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:50 am

He'll probably try to stuff it in a Dura-ace shifter.... :grin:
rlpaul
Cat 2

Postby pritchet74 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:18 am

Now that's an idea...

:banana:

But I won't be jumping on Campy Electric any time soon. I really love the setup that I currently have. The Cateye buttons are really working out well too.
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

PreviousNext

Return to General cycling