Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

Taking my Di2 Internal, and the trip to Colorado, FINISHED!

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Re: Taking my Di2 Internal, and the trip to Colorado

Postby pritchet74 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:46 pm

After further consideration, it'd be a much better idea to just buy the harness. :wink:

So my trip to Colorado hasn't started off too well. I was late to the airport & missed my flight. Damnit. I'm scheduled for the next one, which is only 90 minutes later so it's all good. I'll still be able to (just) make my noon appointment for the Retul fitting in Denver.

I took my bike apart last night to try & avoid the $175 fee each way to travel with a bike on United Airlines. I left my wheels at home (coloclimber's going to lend me a pair), then removed the stem, brakes, fork, seatpost, cranks from the frame. The frame, fork, seatpost/saddle then went into a small frame box with a pillow & other packing materials. The box measured 6" bigger than the "no extra fee" size, but they didn't measure it. When I checked the box they asked what was in it - I said "a carbon frame". No fees. :mrgreen:

If my carry-on bag is my stem/handlebars (levers & front brake attached) & the SRM. I'm pretty sure I packed the frame well, so hopefully it gets there in 1 piece.

First stop is Retul, then I'm driving down to the SRM office in Colorado Springs to pick up my new "Science" custom SRM. By custom I mean they have never made one like mine before. Campy square taper arms (gotta have 165mm arms), FSA spider (arms & spider have to be black) built with 16 strain gauges. Standard bolt pattern & I've got some fibre-lyte rings on order for it. Will the carbon rings hold up to a full season of racing with Di2? Only one way to find out!

Anyways, tomorrow there's a sweet ride in Boulder schedules & then the work on the Di2 battery. Finally, actual work tomorrow & Wednesday while in Denver. It should end up being a great trip!
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby Ypsylon » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:12 pm

pritchet74 wrote:After further consideration, it'd be a much better idea to just buy the harness. :wink:

:lol:

Woulda been sweet to avoid that. Still keeping my fingers crossed for your frame to arrive in one piece.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Postby pritchet74 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:16 pm

It should be good. Its a good box. Ordinarily I would just rent a bike or borrowed one, but since my legs have gotten used to the 165mm cranks it's just rough on my knees to ride 172.5mm's like most people ride. Not that I ride much anyways when traveling for work, but it was a must on this trip.
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby Boonen » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:06 pm

I'm surprised they'd let you take your handlebars with you as hand luggage! No idea what you could actually do with one of those on an airplane but they seem to get stricter and stricter over here for each time I fly, I wouldn't be surprised if next time they'd ask for belts and shoelaces before entering the plane ... :roll:

Anyway, sounds like a nice 'business' trip, enjoy! :D
Boonen
Faster than Superman

Postby dunlinii » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:14 pm

Its when you forget you have knives and stuff in your pockets that they become really suspicious.

I was flying to a race in the US in October, and a guy on my team had like a voice amplifier thing in a box that was his carry on (its real delicate), and because of that going all funny at security he had to go into a room where a man with a glove was waiting...
Being a Pirate should be considered a Manly job because pirates get two types of booty.
dunlinii
Cat 1

Postby pritchet74 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:55 am

I was more worried about going thru security with my SRM crankset (chainrings mounted) as they might think it was a weapon. No hastles though.

The Retul fit exceeded all of my expectations. The short version is that I went to a 110mm -6 deg and my saddle went back 15mm. No change in the height. I've switched to the Bontrager RXL shoes, which come with a really nice set of eSoles insoles. The arch support is REALLY awesome & helps my knees track better than before. The 3 shims under my right cleat are gone. I have been told to get rid of my Time pedals & switch to Look Keos with fixed cleats. I bought a stem there & have ordered a set of pedals.

The biggest thing though is that he was able to solve the mystery of why when I look down I see the middle of the left side of my handlebar & not the stem. My hips are twisted left when I ride, which is why my right knee sometimes touches the top tube and why my head isn't centered on the bike. All of this is most likely caused by right adductors (side hip muscle?) Being very weak. So I have to work on strengthening that & it should set me straight.

Then there was the trip to SRM. Simply awesome. I will write more about that tomorrow. I'm exhausted & it's really late. Also, I have to get up at 4am for the 2nd day in a row. Not cool.

Oh ya. The wiring of the RD cable has been properly soldered & it's all put back together. :mrgreen:
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby kytyree » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:06 pm

All very interesting, great project.

Did they feel the Time pedals had too much float for you or was that suggestion based on something else?
kytyree
King of Cobbles 09

Postby pritchet74 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:12 pm

Ya, too much float.
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby coloclimber » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:45 pm

Hey, no texting or forum posting while driving!
-Enjoy the Ride
coloclimber
Cat 2

Postby pritchet74 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:23 pm

Busted! :impish:
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby pritchet74 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:11 pm

So last night we got the big project done. The battery surgery is complete & is now mounted inside the seatpost. It BARELY fits in there, but it fits & can go in & out quite easily. I have it secured quite well though so I have no fear of it coming out & sliding down the seat tube. The charger has been required as well to accept the new battery configuration.

Almost as cool (but more fun) is that I got to go on a great hour ride (it was all that daylight permitted) with a nice little climb thrown in there. I beat Nathan on the climb (but neither of us was going that hard up it), but he handily beat me for the Boulder City Limit sign sprint.

Lots of pics - I'll get them posted soon...
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby coloclimber » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:42 pm

It was a great time and ride (minus the climb). Thanks for spending some time with my family and chatting over Chianti Riserva 2005 and a little 77% Boulder Chocolove.

Victoria is ~59 lighter and more aero by going internal with the battery.
-Enjoy the Ride
coloclimber
Cat 2

Postby pritchet74 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:46 pm

Hell ya. How can you go wrong with great food, wine, chocolate (amazing chocolate), and working on bikes? Thanks again for all your help! Next time I'm in Boulder we're hitting the long climbs! :mrgreen:
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby jrennie » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:33 pm

Who are you kidding about a whole season of racing :liar:

Sounds cool. I picked up a set of RXl shoes from VeloReno but had to order the optional arch kit. The one that came with the shoes is way to hard and high. The rest of the kit is still down there if you want to change out yours for ones with more padding and less hard plastic.
Quicky von Quick Quick
jrennie
El Campeón '10

Postby pritchet74 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:13 am

It was a bit cold in Boulder, but the new position felt good!

Nathan taking the Dremel to the battery case....

Nice weight savings!

That's me - hard at work! :mrgreen:

The final re-configured battery.

Here's Victoria smuggling a battery!
Last edited by pritchet74 on Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:53 am, edited 5 times in total.
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

PreviousNext

Return to General cycling