Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

Taking my Di2 Internal, and the trip to Colorado, FINISHED!

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Re: Taking my Di2 Internal

Postby Mike K. » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:34 pm

pritchet74 do you have a photo of the batteries removed from the housing? I'm interested to see what they look like.
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Mike K.
Cat 1

Postby dunlinii » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:53 pm

You know should never mix work and pleasure Pritch :P
Being a Pirate should be considered a Manly job because pirates get two types of booty.
dunlinii
Cat 1

Postby coloclimber » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:43 pm

It wont be pleasure were I am taking him riding....

We are going to do an even better job for Victoria.
http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... 1&start=75
-Enjoy the Ride
coloclimber
Cat 2

Postby Ypsylon » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:15 pm

What's the black thing on the left?

What the heck is a circuit board?
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Postby Mike K. » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:29 pm

Much obliged coloclimber
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Mike K.
Cat 1

Postby pritchet74 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:00 pm

The black thing on the left is the waterproof quick connection. Unplug the battery from there & plug it into the charger.

I am very much looking forward to this project being completed. The batteries will just BARELY fit in my Cervelo seatpost.
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby andy2 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:39 am

Are you gonna have to take the seatpost off and shake the battery/cable package out to charge ?
What are your plans for the ungainly wire junction at the bars? In the stem?
Great initiative, I know it's going to be supersweet once you're done!
L'enfer, c'est les autres.
andy2
Cat 2

Postby Boonen » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:19 am

Ypsylon wrote:What the heck is a circuit board?

It's the black thing on the left :wink:
This looks like a real fun job :D Andy, I'm thinking you could charge the battery while it's in the frame, you'd have to make a connector that sticks out the post though.

I played around with this group a bit and didn't think much of it but it sure opens up a lot of cool tuning possibilities :D
Boonen
Faster than Superman

Postby coloclimber » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:51 pm

No, the circuit board is the white thing at the bottom of the battery cels. It basically tells the cels to stop charging once they are full. Its not necessary to have on the bike- just for charging.
Taking the seatpost out for a charge every 6 months is a lot less hassle than cleaning your chain once a week. Its a pretty maintenance free system.
To charge the batteries without taking them out of the frame would require another hole/port for charging in the frame or seatpost and a switch. Its more durable, lighter and easier to take the seatpost out for an hour and a half once every 6 months.
-Enjoy the Ride
coloclimber
Cat 2

Postby Ypsylon » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:09 pm

Boonen wrote:
Ypsylon wrote:What the heck is a circuit board?

It's the black thing on the left :wink:

:mocking:

coloclimber wrote:No, the circuit board is the white thing at the bottom of the battery cels.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Postby Boonen » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:53 pm

Well, there you go :lol:

coloclimber, do you think one charge will last you 6 months?
I believe the guys I ride with charge them about every other week or so, but then again they shift constantly and if they don't then I do it for them from time to time :grin: It's actually really easy to throw the chain on the small ring on another bike when sprinting or shifting it on the big one on the steepest part of a climb, I wonder when we'll see the first 'Di2 scandal' in a race :wink:
Boonen
Faster than Superman

Postby pritchet74 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:18 pm

It depends how much you ride. Being that a charge lasts about 2000 miles, thatd be over 100 hours for me. Being that I only ride about 5 hours a week, that's 20 weeks, or about every 5 months. I'll probably just charge every 4 months.

Regarding the indicator that I have mounted to the stem, I think I'm going to put it on the backside of the handlebar next to the stem. It'd be out of the wind there & I could still easily adjust the RD if I had a foreign wheel on the bike.
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby dunlinii » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:55 pm

You know all this cool technology talk really makes me want Di2 :(
Being a Pirate should be considered a Manly job because pirates get two types of booty.
dunlinii
Cat 1

Postby Ypsylon » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:13 pm

Tell me about it. I'll try and let Colo and Pritch finish their ones first, but I'm not sure how much longer I can hold out for after that.

If you used your own batteries, do you think there would be a way to get around the lower wire kit? I guess you'd have to find the right plugs to connect to the FD, RD and upper wire kit?
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Postby pritchet74 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:18 pm

If you want to hard wire everything together then you don't need the lower wire kit at all.
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

PreviousNext

Return to General cycling