Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

Update WorldRecordWightTuned 55gm4titaniumSpingDuraaCeFrmech

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Update WorldRecordWightTuned 55gm4titaniumSpingDuraaCeFrmech

Postby aCeMadMods » Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:50 pm

hi i have been think about tuneing Fr 7800 mech for some time, now it just never had a real to do before , but now i seem to on a roll in land rubber duckie tune Labs here i find for me the Shimano Was Too strong, plus it wight more then ti for it cracking up my frame , it has seem make to much of a shock load gose the big ring to litter one, , power cordz did help stop some the shock load, it was sill in time gose to pull my fr mech holder in the frame, here a pic, i only have lphone to take pics sorry to all here, . i found makeing the sping was not that ez, has i found out ti blade spoke has point when bending it, like crackup, ( i new this make brake spings i found by heat he end you start bend help alot i just had pentouch to this to then able to free blend to any shape you like this only use to start makeing the first loop in the sping after this i use bolt close the real sping then start wraping around to got 5 time around . the first one Ti sping i made Fail ( 3 hours work on that for i was try to roll it will the small blade into the sping, when i trying to install it , with tool ,i clamp to hard it spilt in half / 2 go i took the ez way use the fat out rolling it it could only like 20 min this time :applause:
i found the pin that were not steel has i was thinking , about dam strong alloy alot me time take by very slower filling and drill the the pin that held the sping place / you able to the out by tapeing them to use some srew to pull them out , yes is only 1 place i can able to drill some more wight with out been seen to be moded look like a stock mech

this Yet rejoining the pin i just use some locktie glue
if any more info or pic pm i happy to help

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv27 ... age137.jpg

Attachments
Image138.jpg
aCeMadMods
Cat 5

Re: Update WorldRecordWightTuned 55gm4titaniumSpingDuraaCeFrmech

Postby Fuchs » Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:10 am

please make some new pics so you actually can see some stuff. would be n ice cause this one is intresting!
Fuchs
Cat 2

Postby Boonen » Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:23 am

These pictures give me a headache but it seems like an interesting project. :wink: Think I missed it the first time you posted them.

For anyone wanting to give this a go. Don't use bladed spokes to make the spring, round 1.5 or 2.0 one's would work much better. Just fix one end and rotate around a round piece of steel, no need for heating first. An M8 bolt has the about the right size. You'll need an ID of around 8 mm, and M8 bolt is 7mm but if you don't wind it around extremely tight the spring will open up a little and the size should be just right.

As for putting them back in the derailleur, if it's the first time you install the spring an easy trick is to just leave one end long and use that to lever the spring into place before you cut it to size. If you re-install an old (stock) spring needle nose pliers are good to use but if you have it a small piece of steel tubing that you slide around the long end of the spring makes it much easier.

I don't think you replaced the pivoting rods? You could easily substitute the steel one's with (hollow) ti or even carbon. The carbon you have to watch though and replace form time to time as it wears and makes the shifting a bit sloppy. I don't like it but if you go for ultimate low weight it's an option.
Boonen
Faster than Superman

Postby BMANX » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:54 pm

Please use Macros option on the camera next time. I am really interested in this project.

Cheers.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT

Cervelo SLC 5890g/12.98lbs
BMANX
Cat 1

Re: Update WorldRecordWightTuned 55gm4titaniumSpingDuraaCeFr

Postby Kniprode » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:06 pm

Nice, but why did you put these parts into some jelly, before photographing them?
Kniprode
Cat 5

Return to General cycling