Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

McFetridge Parlee Fixie

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

McFetridge Parlee Fixie

Postby madcow » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:11 pm

I've been having a hard time deciding what my favorite bike for this years show is, but when it comes down to what bike is the best looking that's easy it's this one. I think this is the best looking project we've done ever.

The bike starts with a custom Parlee TT frame (Thanks Tom, Bob and the crew at Parlee.) Then it was sent to artist Geoff McFetridge. Geoff did an amazing job on it. I do want to note that there are no decals on this bike. Also there is no black paint on it, the black sections are nude, unpainted carbon. Geoff did this paint job entirely by hand and from what I understand it took a massive amount of time, and it looks like it did. The bike is fitted with a custom drilled Sturmey Archer 3 speed fixed gear hub (thanks David.)

Again we'd just like to take time to offer our most sincere thanks to Geoff. For anyone interested in knowing more about his work and his design studio, go to his website: http://championdontstop.com I would like to note that Geoff is an artist and not a painter, please do not contact him about doing custom paint on your personal bike(unless budget is of no concern to you.)

For those of you in the NYC area, Geoff has a solo painting show opening at Half Gallery in NYC (208 Forsyth St. NYC) Tuesday Sept. 21, we encourage you to check it out.

Finished weight is 13.5 pounds.

Frame Parlee Custom TT
Bars: New Ultimate Alloy
Stem: Tune OS
Rims: Enve 65mm
Hubs: Sturmey Archer s3x and Mig70
Tires: Challenge Chrono
Skewers: Tune DC14
Cranks: Tune Fast Foot
Pedals: Far and Near pedals
Saddle: Tune Kom Vor
Tape: Lizard skins DSP.
Cable/Housing: Powercordz/Carbon Nokon
Headset: Kcnc R1
Attachments
3spd10.jpg
3spd9.jpg
3spd8.jpg
3spd7.jpg
3speed6.jpg
3speed5.jpg
3spd4.jpg
3spd3.jpg
3spd2.jpg
3spd1.jpg
madcow
Dork Overlord

Re: McFetridge Parlee Fixie

Postby Fibre-Lyte » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:46 am

I really like the idea of the bike as a whole and the frame looks incredible, certainly each time I look at it a bit more.

Although I like the chainring design, I think it could do with a solid, 'aero' style one on there. The frame looks too chunky for a subtle chainring. Not sure about the pedals or the shifting method either but they could grow on me. One thing that I can't get my head around is the new Enve logo. I like the design idea but on those wheels.....well :roll:
Fibre-Lyte
Manufacturer

Postby dunlinii » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:57 pm

I think the spider-y chainring looks good. I like how you can see right down to the BB through it.

Now can I ride it around London at rush hour please?
Being a Pirate should be considered a Manly job because pirates get two types of booty.
dunlinii
Cat 1

Postby rlpaul » Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:01 pm

Love the saddle on it. The FWB logo looks really good.

I must admit, I didn't notice the chainring when I was taking pics of the bike. But when looking at the bike as a whole in person, it flowed really well, nothing stuck out as if it didn't belong.
rlpaul
Cat 2

Postby smithrebel46 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:44 am

I hate to bump such an old thread, but I am curious about the handlebars on this project. On your website, I only see that they are New Ultimate Alloy. I assume they are out of production, but I would like to hear more about them. Reach, Drop, Weight (290g on weight weenies), etc. Any chance these bars are still available or can be found? An aero aluminum track bar is exactly what I have been looking for. Thanks for any help.
smithrebel46
Cat 5

Postby Ypsylon » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:25 am

I can't find reach/drop numbers right now, but I could swear I posted that info before, either here or over at WWs.

I'm not sure if I'd be calling it an aero aluminium track bar, either. It's aluminum and a handlebar, but I'm convinced it was all that aero and even though the housing on the bike above suggests otherwise, I could swear the one I held in my hand had internal cable routing. I do confuse stuff like that though.

Have you seen the Trek aero road handlebar? That's available in aluminium and cf and might be what you're looking for.

If you want the NU one really bad, I know that one member of the FW staff has one in his posession, not sure what width though.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Postby smithrebel46 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:33 pm

I had not heard of the Trek/Bontrager bars. I checked them out and they look promising. I was also considering the Cinelli Vai Palm. Since those two appear to be much easier to obtain, I will probably go that route. Thanks for your help!
smithrebel46
Cat 5

Return to General cycling