Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

1x9 on my Independent Fab 29er??

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

1x9 on my Independent Fab 29er??

Postby hanzo111 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:42 pm

So I have a Independent Fabrications steel deluxe 29er currently running a
single speed set up. I would like to convert this to 1x9 and wonder if anyone
has any thought on this.

I want to run a Di2 rear derailleur on the bike, I currently have Hadley hubs
and will have to find one that takes a cassette. Do you guys think that the Di2
will work?

Regards

Hanzo
The purity of the design is what I'm drawn to
hanzo111
Cat 5

Re: 1x9 on my Independent Fab 29er??

Postby Ypsylon » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:47 pm

I'm assuming you're talking about 7970, because with Ultegra di2 you'd have go gut a pair of STIs.

There was this rumor that part of the brain is in the FD, but AFAIK it turned out that only had to do with the trim and it works fine without it.

Maybe if someome could unplug his FD and check, that'd be all you need to know, right?

So, yeah, di2 should work and would be a mighty fine solution.

I can't help but wonder if it's worth it, though. The RD works super nicely, but the front shifting is where it really shines. You'd have the battery and junction box anyways, so that's a bit heavy. Also, the RD is not exactly cheap.

Maybe XTR would be 99% as nice while cheaper and lighter? Also gives more cassette options.

Have you considered Acros at all?

Or maybe Rohloff?
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Re: 1x9 on my Independent Fab 29er??

Postby hanzo111 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:17 pm

I'm assuming you're talking about 7970, because with Ultegra di2 you'd have go gut a pair of STIs.
Correct! I'd like to use some home brewed switches

There was this rumor that part of the brain is in the FD, but AFAIK it turned out that only had to do with the trim and it works fine without it.

Maybe if someome could unplug his FD and check, that'd be all you need to know, right?

So, yeah, di2 should work and would be a mighty fine solution.

I can't help but wonder if it's worth it, though. The RD works super nicely, but the front shifting is where it really shines. You'd have the battery and junction box anyways, so that's a bit heavy. Also, the RD is not exactly cheap.
This is sort of my money pit, out of my 3 bikes this brings me the most joy so another $1-1,300 is OK for the project

Maybe XTR would be 99% as nice while cheaper and lighter? Also gives more cassette options.
I have nothing gains using XTR, I have this on my Ti MTB but this bike is a bit funky and I want to keep with the unique theme of this bike.

Have you considered Acros at all?
I never heard of this manufacturer, but WOW!!! looks like nice stuff, I'll check them out.

Hanzo
The purity of the design is what I'm drawn to
hanzo111
Cat 5

Return to General cycling