Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

xc wheelset

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

xc wheelset

Postby Ypsylon » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:05 pm

I'm lusting after a new cross-country race wheelset.

I do most of my training on the road and as my current wheelset will be a training wheelset they won't see too many miles and I'm only 65kg, but I definetly don't have the best technique and am pretty hard on myself and my stuff once in race mode. I can't afford to replace the rims every other week either.

Light would be nice, but I need all the grip I can get, so I think tubeless and wide would be more important than super light, but I could be wrong here.

I think the XTR wheelset is a pretty good benchmark, so which wheelset is lighter, more robust, cheaper and cooler?
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Re: xc wheelset

Postby Fibre-Lyte » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:41 pm

You know I know nothing about mtb's :( but as no one else is answering your post.....

My boss rides a set of Mavic Crossmax SLR's with tubeless tyres. I've no real idea of the weight (1550g or thereabouts) but he loves the wheels, and I'm quite impressed too.
Fibre-Lyte
Manufacturer

Postby Ypsylon » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:52 pm

I'm not really on top of things either, but the way I see it the SLRs are good wheels if they come with your bike but seem to be a bit overpriced on the aftermarket. They are only 5g lighter than xtr 975s and not really better in any other aspect I can think of.

The absolute standard right now seems to be either novatech, DT or Tune hubs with notube rims, but the latter are really pricey here in Germany. Not Edge pricey, but at them same time pretty prone to dents. But at least you can replace only the rims.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Postby Fibre-Lyte » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:37 pm

I'm not sure how pricey they are in Germany, but my bosses brother got some wheels from this company justridingalong for his wifes mountain bike and he was very impressed. No idea if it's any help?
Fibre-Lyte
Manufacturer

Postby Mads Kock » Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:06 pm

Is it going to be a race only wheelset or are you going to do train with it too?

If race only - you can compromise a little on the durablity on the hubs meaning you don't need anything that can ride 24h in pure mud. I would go for Tune princess/prince hubs, spokes would be something like sapim cx-ray, light and stiff, rims if race only I would suggest something tubular to give you the best grip/roll.

If you going to do alot of training then you need some hubs with better sealing - I have the dt swiss 240s hubs (not that I do alot of training hehe) which works fine for him. Since the weight of a hub is in center and doesn't influent rotation you won't feel this except when the bike is on the scale :-)

Don't go for the slr - expensive compared to weight and durability.
Mads Kock
Cat 3

Postby Ypsylon » Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:23 am

Tubular instead of tubeless? Interesting. The project is a bit on hold right now, but it would be pretty much a race day only wheel, just with a couple of training runs thrown in so I'd get to know the wheel/tire a bit.

Any reasonable priced and versatile tubulars out there?
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Postby pritchet74 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:32 pm

How about a set of Edge carbon tubulars? I don't know squat about MTB's, but those wheels seem to just be perfect. A long time ago when I use to ride MTB's almost all my flats were pinch flats, so tubulars would just seem like a good idea.
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby Ypsylon » Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:49 pm

Yeah, that would be sweet, but that's really not an option. They're just too expensive.

What tubular tires would your recommend?
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Postby pritchet74 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:01 pm

Ypsylon wrote:Yeah, that would be sweet, but that's really not an option. They're just too expensive.

What tubular tires would your recommend?

I ain't too up on MTB tubulars. In fact the only ones that come to mind are Dugast & FMB, but I wouldn't run those because as far as I know there is no layer of puncture resistance. Ya, I really ain't providing any useful information........ :?
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby Mads Kock » Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:46 pm

Tubulars are expensive and I wouldn't use it as a training wheel. Nothing wrong with using them sometimes training and I think they are probably more relieable or at least on the same level as a normal tire. Only thing is that IF you are unlucky and have a puncture I don't think you can repair it.

But if you're looking for a "normal" lightweight wheelset and it seems like you live in germany - have a talk with Jürgen from xx-light-bikes. Build great wheels and has big knowledge - through times I have got 5-6 wheelset from him and all were super build.

I would go:

Tune Prince/princess hubs,
Sapim CX-Ray spokes and alu nipples,
Notubes 7000 rims

Weight will be around 1200 grams.
Mads Kock
Cat 3

Mavic Crossmax SLR

Postby eggdog33@gmail.com » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:30 pm

I currently have these and they are both light and for me bombproof. The only thing to consider is that the hubs do need frequent maintenance ( which is very easy and a 5 min job) But they are light, very sturdy come UST.. A good race set. Also look at the DT swiss..
eggdog33@gmail.com
Cyclotourist

Postby screne » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:18 pm

If you are looking for a bombproof wheelset that is suitable for +80 Kg - you can look at the DT Swiss XRC 1250 or DT Swiss XRC 1350. They have the wonderful Ceramic bearings on the DT190 hubs - and although they have carbon rims - they are for clincher tires - and for riders up to 90Kg.
screne
Cyclotourist

Return to General cycling