Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

Show us your home town.....

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Re: Show us your home town.....

Postby dalai » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:59 am

Don't think I'd want to buy a block on that hill and have to ride it to get home every day! :shock:

You climbed über-goober? Nice! I was in Hueco Tanks winter 95 and 97. In 1995 I also spent was 5 weeks at Rifle, a few weeks at Enchanted Tower NM, time at Virgin River Gorge, Smith Rocks, Yosemite, so may have even been climbing at the same place?

Below is a favourite photo of me bouldering at Hueco on 45 degree wall, back when I had more hair... :lol:

dalai
Cat 1

Postby pritchet74 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:02 am

Wow. You look like a damn hippie! :impish:
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby dalai » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:15 am

pritchet74 wrote:Wow. You look like a damn hippie! :impish:

Indeed, you have me correctly boxed. Only finally sold my 76 Kombi bus camper last year...

But still a hippie on the inside, even if the hair is short and I am now stuck in a corporate job. :lol:
dalai
Cat 1

Postby über-goober » Wed May 23, 2012 2:30 am

Hey Pritchet74..
I just checked out Mix Canyon yesterday. :shock:

That climb will put the smack down. I heard it has a mile that is over 16%..

Someone else's images:
CIMG3804.JPG

CIMG3877.JPG
the problem? could be the nut behind the handlebars.
über-goober
Cat 2

Postby dalai » Wed May 23, 2012 7:11 am

A mile over 16% :shock:
dalai
Cat 1

Postby Ypsylon » Wed May 23, 2012 8:57 am

I'd just attach the sprockets to the crank and the chainrings to the freehub. An 11x53 should be good.

If I'm thinking about the right climb, the mean thing about Mix Canyon is that it has those really steep steps, that just become longer. The first one is maybe 100m or something, and you're still fresh.

Then the next one will be 200m and then one that's 400 and the less steep sections become shorter and shorter, until it's just one steep mf.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Postby pritchet74 » Thu May 24, 2012 12:06 am

Ya, the upper part of the climb is BRUTAL. That's the part that you are talking about. I have never made it that far on the bike. Everyone I know won't do it without a MTB.
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby pritchet74 » Thu May 24, 2012 12:07 am

:applause:
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby thebuny » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:30 am

Porto city, Portugal

thebuny
Cyclotourist

Postby über-goober » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:08 pm

Another very steep one near Tucson:

the problem? could be the nut behind the handlebars.
über-goober
Cat 2

Postby Mike K. » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:57 pm

Someday I want to go to Tucson and punish myself on those steep pitches.
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Mike K.
Cat 1

Postby mdeth1313 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:25 am

Mike K. wrote:Someday I want to go to Tucson and punish myself on those steep pitches.

For now you'll have to settle for those forays into Putnam County (or what's left of it after this hurricane).
Words are like bullets, I let them pass through me.
mdeth1313
Cat 1

Postby Matteo » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:29 am

Hope that everyone in the NE is doing OK. Mike K.: You have that S&S bike now, so at least getting on an airplane has gotten easier/cheaper...
Matteo
Cat 3

Postby Mike K. » Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:28 am

For now you'll have to settle for those forays into Putnam County (or what's left of it after this hurricane).[/quote]

Actually it's not too bad in my neck of the woods. Logged 81km over 2 days so far. Roads were passable by Wednesday thanks to repair workers-even though we were at the bottom of the triage list (thankfully!). Just had power restored today late afternoon-so I'm a happy ex-camper :grin:

I would like to venture up to Putnam at some point, I hear there are some nice climbs there.
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Mike K.
Cat 1

Postby mdeth1313 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:45 am

Mike K. wrote:For now you'll have to settle for those forays into Putnam County (or what's left of it after this hurricane).

Actually it's not too bad in my neck of the woods. Logged 81km over 2 days so far. Roads were passable by Wednesday thanks to repair workers-even though we were at the bottom of the triage list (thankfully!). Just had power restored today late afternoon-so I'm a happy ex-camper :grin:

I would like to venture up to Putnam at some point, I hear there are some nice climbs there.[/quote]

Never lost power, although my kids have been out of school all week (no power at the schools) and they set up a red cross shelter for people who are still without. My understanding is Putnam is really bad. I'm in Dutchess (Pawling) and I've been out on the bike a few times and it seems as if north of me is getting back to normal. Putnam has some good ones, I still prefer the stuff by me, especially north and east.
Words are like bullets, I let them pass through me.
mdeth1313
Cat 1

PreviousNext

Return to General cycling