Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

Shimano 11 speed freehub interchangeability

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Shimano 11 speed freehub interchangeability

Postby seitenryu » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:16 am

This is a long shot--maybe even just theoretical. I aim to install the new Dura-Ace FH-9000 11 speed freehub onto an XTR hub shell using either the existing XTR axle or a custom machined version with the corresponding cone. I'm hoping someone can chime in that has actually had the FH-9000 in hand. From what I can tell the new Dura-Ace 9000 freehub, axle, and cone are compatible with the current XTR FH-M985 hub shell. I've put myself into a corner with my new build. It'll be 135mm spacing disc-only for mechanical. An all Shimano build is what I have in mind. Has anyone had a chance to see either hub disassembled yet? Is the center portion of the axle at least the same threading?

Shots of both axles side by side would be awesome and disassembled would be even better. I'm well aware that 10sp would be the easy way out, but there's just no upgrade path to the new group. After my test ride on DA9000 my mind is made up. A significant improvement for sure!
seitenryu
Cyclotourist

Return to General cycling