Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

11 speed chainrings

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

11 speed chainrings

Postby The Little Prince » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:06 am

I want to run 11 speed gearing but with a 45tooth chainring. Can either Ta specialties zephyr or the salsa 45tooth chainring be used with an 11speed groupset. Thanks.
The Little Prince
Cyclotourist

Re: 11 speed chainrings

Postby Ypsylon » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:44 pm

So 1x11?

I don't think the chainring could cause too much trouble, even though there are special single chainrings with longer teeth. Chainline might not be perfect and you'd probably want to run some sort of chaincatcher or a FD acting as one.

What cassette do you want to run and what kind of terrain do you ride in, if you don't mind me asking?
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Postby The Little Prince » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:28 am

Thanks Ypsylon, I ride in hilly terrain. I do not think this will work since I run a 12-25 cassette.
The Little Prince
Cyclotourist

Postby Ypsylon » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:13 am

Sorry, but I still don't understand what your actual plan is.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Return to General cycling